Vogue 2960 in Polished Cotton

by Cherie on July 30, 2013 · 11 comments

in 1950s,Dresses,Vintage Sewing

I have been reading We Sew Retro for years now and I am happy to have my first post.  This is Vogue 2960 (pattern cover on page in link)

This is actually the second time I have made this pattern. I have been sewing for about two years and this was one of the first patterns I tried to make.  It was a disaster.  There were instructions for bound button holes and I found that you have to already know how to do them to understand what to do.  It took me so long to make this the first time and the result was a barely wearable dress that only hangs in the back of my closet.  I am much happier with the results this time.

It was really nice to be able to see how much I have learned since I started sewing.  I understood so much more and was so much faster sewing it.  The instructions are still terrible, but I wasn’t stopped in my tracks by them.  I owe a lot to the sewing classes I have taken online.

By the way… the photos are Photoshopped.  I don’t live anywhere that nice.  I was in front of a green screen.  You can still see the green tint on the bottom of the dress from the light reflecting off of the green floor I was standing on.  So, I am better at sewing, but still mediocre at Photoshop.

Thanks for reading.  I am so happy to have written my first post!  More on my blog.

Cherie's posts / Cherie's website

Jeannie Watt July 30, 2013 at 10:35 am

I think the photos and the dress are lovely. You are so right about bound buttonholes. The fabric and the fit of your dress are gorgeous. Excellent work.

Cherie July 30, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Thanks! I noticed that there is also a post on bound button holes on We Sew Retro today. What good timing!

Sarah July 30, 2013 at 11:30 am

Love the dress and love the fabric. You did a beautiful job!

Cherie July 30, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Thank you! I had fun making it and doing the Photoshop!

EmSewCrazy July 31, 2013 at 12:02 am

Very cute dress! I think using photo shop for the background is a great idea. Keep up the good work!

Cherie August 2, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Thanks!

Mariko July 31, 2013 at 9:18 am

I LOVE this dress! Normally I scan through my sewing blog updates from Bloglovin but I had to read about this one. I’m still new to sewing (a few months in) and I’d love to know what classes you took! And you could have fooled me with the photos, I didn’t notice until you mentioned the green tint.

Cherie August 2, 2013 at 8:55 pm

That is so nice! Thank you! I took some classes at Craftsy. I took the bombshell dress course: http://www.thesewinglab.net/2012/04/bombshell-dress-part-2.html which I couldn’t have loved more. It was so great. I also took the Couture Dress class http://www.thesewinglab.net/2012/04/bombshell-dress-part-2.html. That one was also very good. I took the Starlet Suit course and didn’t think it was great: http://www.thesewinglab.net/2012/06/starlet-suit-jacket-part-two.html. But I don’t think they offer that one anymore. They are fairly inexpensive classes and I couldn’t recommend the first two more. Good luck!

Lucysb July 31, 2013 at 11:25 am

This made me smile! I made this dress in blush silk for my wedding dress! I used rouleaux loops and 50 silk covered buttons down the front, with done ribbon edged petticoats underneath.

Cherie August 2, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I can’t imagine how long sewing that many buttons took! Your version sounds fantastic! I looked on your blog and didn’t find it in the finished projects page. I’d love to see it.

mariebayarea August 3, 2013 at 5:50 pm

That’s a very pretty dress. I love the 50s style and the floral print.