Finally Finished – Mod-ish Denim Military Jacket

So here’s a modern take on a military-esque jacket with a mod twist that I just finished:

Back in 2008, I made a group of 5 jacket patterns with my original intent to sell them on Etsy and this was one of the jackets I made almost completely with the exception of buttonholes and sewn on buttons. I had a point in my life where I decided that I wasn’t any good at all with fashion design and I should quit. So…. I kinda did. This was one of the last things I didn’t finish until this past week. (I think maybe I was afraid of the buttonholer?) I tried it on a few months ago and my boyfriend asked me where I bought it. Umm….     So after that, he encouraged me to finish it.

(Note: I want to use a “click to read more” sort of link right here, but I’m having trouble with the code. This may get edited later!)

The jacket is  far cooler than I ever thought it was!

It’s all-denim and I used all green top-stitching thread.

Back view.

Ta daaaaa!

• Meet the Author • manicpop11

Nicole - Midwest retro-inspired fashion designer who loves mostly psychedelic vintage clothing. I primarily draft all of my own patterns and works can be seen on my blog, Manic Pop. I collect vintage sewing catalogs and love sewing with vintage fabrics.

• You did a wonderful job! I like the sound of your boyfriend – good on him for encouraging you. Keep up with the creativity.

• Love it!

• You really should sell your patterns – this is gorgeous.

• Agreed! This is beautiful!

• It’s a very cute jacket! I love all the topstitching details and the full skirt.

• Winding Ways…. I’d love to sell my patterns but I’m really still intimidated by the sizing of everything! If anyone has suggestions about how they do it, I’d love to hear it.

I went through school and am familiar with doing it the “proper” way with digitizing but am unsure how to go about it the independent way, you know?

I’m also a little familiar with pattern grading, but would really need some pattern testers and sizing. There’s so much to figure out, not sure if I would be able to make it happen with a full time job! Maybe someday.

• Have a word with Heather from Closet Case Files, creator of the Bombshell Swimsuit pattern – having just gone through this process herself I bet she has a wealth of insight and tips.

If you do get to the point where you want to sell your patterns, let me know – I’ll put them up in the WeSewRetro shop for you :)

• Oh wow, Katherine –

Thank you so much!

Yeah, I’ll be picking independent pattern maker’s brains as I’m pattern testing for someone else soon too but pattern releasing seems to be maybe a year or so out for me at this point. Definitely grateful for your support!

• The green stitching just makes me smile.

• Hi – this looks fabulous – I can see it done in a wool for a very sophisticated look, what about floral military!
    I would love this pattern and hope you do consider selling it as a pattern

• Wow! That is so gorgeous. I’d wear that all day long. I agree that you should sell your patterns.

As far as pattern grading goes, you already have professional education in the “right way” to do it. Start there, and know that every project, no matter what it is, has an element of trial and error. I have been doing this with bra patterns, and in the end the “right” way is “your” way. Just have a consistent set of block measurements to work off of.