50s Top & Skirt: Simplicity 2654 & McCalls 7292

Just finished this top and skirt, from the above patterns, and added some embroidery from some vintage designs my Nana passed to me. If you’d like to find out more, or advise me on the finish (not sure if the red embroidery on the black skirt lifts it enough…if at all!) please visit my blog here.

Red Top & Black Skirt
Red Top & Black Skirt
Red Top & Black Skirt
Red Top & Black Skirt

• Meet the Author • Stacey Stitch

Hello I’m Stacey, 30 something, Manchester residing. This (and my blog) is to chronicle my onward plodding adventure into sewing and knitting. I have always been a lover of crafts, from a young age I have embroidered and dabbled a little with sewing and knitting. I have made a couple of garments and would like to share what I have learnt and what I will be learning as I go along in the hope that you can help me and I can help you (more of the former than the latter I think!)

• You look beautiful. The top is fitted perfectly. The touch of embroidery adds the perfect vintage touch, without being over the top. If you want it to show more, try adding a single tier crinoline. I find they give the skirt a little poof without looking too costumey.

• Amazing job, hair looks awesome too. Well done!

• I love love love it! The embroidery in reverse colors is PERFECT! You look gorgeous in the photos, and what a great backdrop! The red and black pop, perfect for summer.

• This is beautiful from head to toe.

• Absolute perfection.

• The embroidery is such a creative and personalized touch. I like the red on black and black on red. If you still want more color, my idea would be to let a simple red trim peek out just at the hemline. You could attach it so that it peeks out just a quarter inch or so. Do you have enough fabric from your top to make bias strips? Perhaps it is too heavy. I can picture it adding just that bit of color you want. Even some red lace on the plain side or other sort of purchased trim would work.

• I love the top! And, I think the embroidery on the skirt is just enough! I’ve seen people use ribbon and bias tape for a more solid stand out look. I like the way you chose to embroider it. I think it will make it easier to mix with any color top.

• I love this outfit! And I think you made the right choice just doing the embroidered motif on the skirt without the ric rac (I was reading the original post on your blog). It’s understated and super classy, but adds just enough interest to the skirt to make it interesting.

• Thanks for the lovely comments everyone…I think I might extend the embroidery a little further up and round, I just need to figure out a way of repeating the pattern successfully, all of your suggestions have been great :)

• You look stunning! Lovely embroidery.

« LAST POST