1960′s Sundress

Hi! This is my first post on We Sew Retro and I’m super exited to share with you my latest project :)

I am quite lucky finding vintage patterns in charity shops for cheap, plus I’ve been blessed with lots of them as gifts once friends and family hear I’m into dressmaking. I now have quite a collection of vintage patterns to work through so hope to share more with you in the future.

This dress I made with a 1965′s pattern (dated by vintage pattern wiki) and made up with a cotton lawn I was given for my birthday back in may.

I usually go for more full skirted dresses, but this has made a nice change and I’m warming to the shift dress style more and more as I wear this.

It’s a simple construction, and was quite quick to put together, ignoring my fitting gaffs. All in all, a successful vintage inspired make!

For more details and to check out more of my makes, visit my blog :D

• Meet the Author • Freya May

I've been sewing for a couple of years, experimenting with different styles and techniques. I love fifties and sixties styles, home decorating and cycling!

• I love the contrast bias binding at the hem. It gives it a modern touch. I also like your birthday material!

• I like that print!

• Lovely dress, I too like the binding at the hem, and the fabric is lovely.

• Great print! I wish I could wear that color. It looks so fresh on you.

A really minor piece of advice: You may find in future that if you stay-stitch the neck and arm openings before you turn and bind them, they will hold their shape more easily. Those bias areas are so prone to stretching!

I noticed that you commented in your blog that the length of the dress surprised you. Skirts didn’t get universally short until the second half of the sixties; in ’65-’66 you’re still seeing skirts at the knee (which is what this would be considered), especially for non-teen styles. Of course, since you bound the bottom instead of hemming, you would have had to cut some off regardless. Usually these patterns allow for a hem of at least a couple of inches.

I hope we’ll be seeing more easy, breezy summer dresses from you!

• Thank you! I’ll bear that in mind next time :D

• I made a dress from a very similar fabric in a very similar style when I learned to sew in the summer of 1966. My hem length was close to the knee but definitely above it. It wasn’t until a year or two later that I was wearing minis and micro-minis. Boy, are those days long gone! We never bound edges on anything (or at least I never did) in those days. Neck and armholes all had facings and hems were turned up 2 or 3 inches.

• SO cute! So sweet too! I love it! I love the fabric and contrasting binding. LOVE LOVE LOVE this!