Hello! This is my second contribution to this blog. My first was made almost a year ago, and I have really been looking forward to adding another post! What I have made here is a pinafore from a 1940’s Du Barry vintage sewing pattern (#5847). I am an avid collector of vintage sewing patterns. My favorite decades are 1940’s-1970’s. I do love the 1920’s and 1930’s, of course, but those are a little harder to come by.
I had purchased some brown calico fabric (what you see in the pics that I have added) for another project…a dress for little girls from the early 1970’s. I thought that it had a “Brady Bunch” feel to it. The colors look as if they would be good for summer and autumn seasons (the original intention was to use it for late summer and early autumn). To me this fabric has a kind of an earthy prettiness to it. Because I had some extra fabric left over, I decided to use it to make this 1940’s Du Barry pinafore. I loved this darling pattern immediately when I saw it the first time. I decided to make only the pinafore and not the blouse. I did “tweak” the original pattern, though. Instead of using rick rick for the trim, I used orange bias tape (orange is a pretty bold color, I think). I added bias to the neckline and to the hem as well. I also lined the front and back panel of the pinafore with a coordinating green broadcloth fabric. The lining is necessary in my opinion. It not only makes the dress more opaque, but also gives it a very nice sturdy feel. The two skirt pieces on either side are not lined, of course. The original pattern also made bloomers; however, I do not care for this style of bloomers, and though you cannot see the bloomers in the pictures, I used a more modern version of bloomers from a 1970’s sewing pattern (with an elasticized waist and legs). I made the dress a little longer than the original, and for that reason the bloomers may be optional. I also updated this pinafore dress a bit by using a zipper closure in the back instead of buttons.
And here it is! I hope you like it!