Vogue 8789 in red Thai silk

I made this dress with hand-woven Thai silk my husband brought back from a trip. This pattern was surprisingly simple for Vogue! My very first time making a dress without a single hitch. I raised the neckline and lined it with muslin. The pattern also wanted me to do some funky thing with an internal belt, but I ignored it. The pattern wanted me to make a cummerbund as well. I hated how it turned out, so I used a belt instead.

• Meet the Author • Jana

• What a wonderful silk version of vogue 8789. Did you make a v-neck. I made also 8789 in red as the last, but only in cotton.

• That’s gorgeous. Beautiful red silk

• Thank you! Yes, it is the v neck version.

• Gorgeous! I love the style and the color! And it’s nice to hear about a not-too-difficult Vogue dress, I’m still kind of intimidated by Vogue patterns.

• Beautiful dress! I love ignoring instructions – sometimes they are just silly!

• Lovely! Thai silk is a dream to work with.
    I believe the internal belt is your waist stay. A lot of full skirted dresses call for them to keep the weight of the skirt from pulling your bodice down. It shouldn’t be a problem with the Thai silk, it’s usually quite lightweight. If you decide to make this dress again in something heavier, you may want to put it in.
    Here’s an easier way to put one in from Tasia at Sewaholic:
    Gorgeous!

• Thanks, Angela! Good information. That is actually close to what I ended up doing, so I’m glad I blundered my way right. :p

• I LOVE this! The fact that it’s in my favorite color only makes me love it more! Lovely job.