The Military Maxi Waistcoat

My brother was going to throw these military curtains away. They’d be hanging in his bedroom in our parental home since he was born in 1968.

I knew they’d be the perfect bold print I needed for the 1970′s Butterick 5597 waistcoat pattern.

Lined with emerald green Indian sari silk and some vintage frog fastenings donated by a friend I can’t wait to wear this at Glastonbury.

• Meet the Author • Vintage Vix

I'm Vix, a jumble sale-ing, car-booting, skip-diving, charity shopping, hedonistic hippy chick in love with life, India and vintage clothes. In my world getting dressed is always an adventure, never a chore. My style is Woodstock refugee meets Rolling Stones groupie with a bit of vintage Bollywood thrown in. I don't follow fashion and if I look ridiculous so what? Not being noticed and blending in with the crowd is my idea of hell. A day without dressing up is a day wasted.

• Very, very cool! You’ll be the fashion hit at Glastonbury! It looks just like the clothing the young 1960′s rock stars used to wear. Years ago, I worked for Hard Rock Cafe retail, and I saw so many outfits from Hendrix, Joplin, etc. both at the Cafe and the memorabilia warehouse that looked just like it. Well done!

• Thanks, Anne! I had Jimi Hendrix and his military jacket in mind when I made it. I sat under his framed silk shirt in The Hard Rock in Bangalore and nearly died of joy. x

• I love it. And I love the story behind the curtain fabric too!

• Thanks, Bry. Can’t wait to show my bro! x

• What an inspired choice! I love large, bold designs and these former curtains work perfectly with this late ’60s pattern. Yum, yum, yum.

• Thank you! I’m always on the hunt for big bold prints, that’s why I love using retro curtains. x

• wonderful fabric and the waistcoat is fittingly original too. Great job!

• Thanks, Rachel. x

• Amazing waistcoat! And a pretty garden, too. :)

• Thanks Erica. The garden’s looking better than it has in years. x

• That is amazing! I’d love to see the Sari fabric as well.

• Thanks, Honora. I should have photographed the lining. Sari fabric is so cheap to buy here and always vibrant and colourful. x

• That’s a very unique combination of fabric and pattern. I love the green-black-pink-orange skirt underneath, too. The whole look is stunning. I turned 11 years old in ’68, and I remember outfits like this – - they inspired me to learn to sew my own.

• Thanks, Francie. The skirt’s a 1960s one. What a great time to grow up. I was born in ’66 so missed most of the Sixties but remember my Mum’s outfits vividly. x

• I never thought I would be a fan of 60′s fashions, but more and more I am seeing pieces I like, and I LOVE this!

• Such a great fabric! I probably never would have thought to make a garment out of it, but it looks like this is exactly what it was always meant to be. Love that you used frogs for the closure, too–they tie in perfectly with the retro military print.

• What a fun, unique fabric! Great idea using the curtains, Maria von Trapp! Very Sergeant Pepper.

• You’re awesome! I just ordered that pattern and I hope I will find suitable curtains. The outfit you are wearing is a dream! And I agree with you regarding dressing, a day wasted unless you look awesome!

• You’re fabulous and so is your dress

• This is Too. Utterly. Fabulous!!!

• I know I’m late but that is one fabulous piece! Have fun wearing it!