The Holloway Dress

Here’s some proper pictures of The Holloway Dress (Simplicity 3575, 1960). Although I’m no where near the babe of this dresses namesake is; I’ll try my best to live up to the va-va-voom attitude of many people’s favorite Mad Men character. If only I had her assets right? The dress is a bit wrinkly. I wore it to work so my desk sitting caused some creases, I don’t think it held up too bad in that regard though.

I thought I was going to have to do an adjustment to take some of the ease out of the bust. Although, since I’ve washed the dress and taken these pictures, I don’t think it’s actually all too bad. Especially for a wearable muslin, as I plan on doing the full skirted version of this pattern later. I’m also fairly certain that dresses from 1960′s usually were cut more generously than we are used to in modern clothing.

The pattern was missing the waist stay piece, so I just decided to leave it out. All the seams are serged, and there’s an invisible zipper in the side (one of my best!). The fabric is either a high quality quilting cotton or shirting. I’m not for sure it was an unmarked clearance bin bargain.

I can’t wait to make another version of this dress soon! Also, I’ve grown very fond of this grass green color! More than one person told me it should be my color.
This is also posted over at my blog HERE.

• Meet the Author • luxperdiem

• GORGEOUS color on you! Very flattering dress, too.

• Even before I read the rest of your post, I thought, “Girls with this hair color should always wear leaf or grass or moss green!” I too love Joanie’s style, but can’t wear it to work. I teach 8th grade. Hormonal boys and hard concrete floors and standing all day :(

• Thank you! Ha I can only imagine what a situation that would cause. Luckily (or kind of unfortunately) I only really deal with one person on a daily basis at work. I can usually get away with dressing how I like, no matter how anachronistic the fashion.

• Love the color on you and that collar tie is a nice detail! I actually recently made a 1/2 circle skirt in this same color, thought I’d hate it, and absolutely loved it once I tried it on.

• Va va voom!

• When I saw the title I thought it was a dress with a prison theme!

• Oh my! Wouldn’t that be something! I kind of want to do one now, lol.

• Oh i agree that colour is very flattering for you. Esp against your red hair and fair skin! Just like Joanie.
    Beautiful!

• From where I’m sitting you look pretty va-va-voom to me! Love the color of your dress (and as a fellow red head I’ve heard the same) and your styling! Spot on, you look fabulous!

• It does make me feel a bit sassy, but Joan’s assets dare I say defy any logic or gravity.

• That color and that dress look awesome on you!

• Gorgeous dress! Some of my first vintage-y dresses were Joan inspired. They just give you a certain attitude, don’t they?

• Wow! You look fabulous in this color! Everyone is right. The dress is very cute. Hope your next dress turns out as well!