So another WW2 Weekend at the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum has come and gone. This year it fell over M’s Birthday so I treated him to tickets to the event.
I made Simplicity 3673 for the event. I bought a reproduction pattern cheap on Etsy and I don’t think I’ll buy from the seller again. The directions were not complete and some of the lines on the pattern that should have been traced with a straight edge were not so I had to take time to fix them. Beside that the pattern wasn’t too difficult. The shorts were ok in size I just cut off 2″ of the top so they wouldn’t be soo high waisted. The top needed to be larger by one size (2″) so I split the front pattern and back pattern in half and added a 1/2″ to each. This worked wonderfully and I didn’t even need to change the position of the darts. The shorts closed with 3 cute red buttons with anchors on them on each side, I did hand-worked button holes on the top button and machine sewed the other two. The top closed with an invisible zipper and I trimmed the collar in red. The sailor collar was the only thing that gave me any real trouble but between the mock up and the real thing I figured it out. I would add an inch to the bottom of the top when I make it up again because it was a little too short to stay tucked in during the even but it still looked cute when I had it untucked too. While at the event we got lots of compliments. M looked very handsome in his outfit. I was told I needed an overseas cap for my outfit so I will be buying Mrs. Depew’s Flight Cap pattern in the near future to make one up. At a stand in the flee market a vender gifted me with a 1945 Christmas catalog from Filene’s Department Store because no one else wanted it. I plan on trying to figure out how to scan my new catalog for all of you to see soon. I also walked away with two patterns this year. (M kept saying the tradition was one but the other was only $3.50 so I couldn’t just leave it there) They are Hollywood 1898 Circa 1946 and Butterick 8315 Circa 1939. They will have to wait as I have lots of other projects to do before them but I am very happy to have them in my collection. I finally found a vintage hat that I liked and it was a steal at $15.
Pattern: Simplicity 3673
Total cost: $39.97 Even thought it was a little costly I paid with all of my supplies with a gift card except for $0.65. Plus I still have one and a half spools of red trim left, fabric for another project, buttonhole thread and some bias binding.