Just when I thought I was making some serious dents in testing out my vintage patterns, this happens:
My friend’s mother found out I like to sew with vintage patterns and for my recent birthday, she sent me a box of patterns that belonged to an auntie that sewed all the time. There was one knitting pattern (which I passed along to Laura Mae over at Lilacs & Lace – LOVE HER!!!) and 67 sewing patterns. They included mens, womens, teens and kids from the 50s to the 80s. SCORE!
But I digress…
This post is about a cute little pattern I’m pretty sure I picked up from momspatterns.com. (She has some great stuff – go check her out.) Simplicity 3471.
View 1 and 2 are the same dress with different styling. With both you can make the adorable bolero jacket and then either use extra fabric to make a matching belt, or the pattern comes with instructions for a cummerbund belt. I wanted a really casual summer dress and opted for no jacket. I may make the cummerbund at a later date in the same contrasting fabric I used for the facings.
I found this fabric at a local fabric store last year. A friend of mine gave me a gift card for my birthday and of course I used it to buy fabric! This is a basic quilting cotton. The background is a mottled mixture of dark coral and light salmon with aubergine vines and animals. From far away the colour combination caught my eye and when I got closer the whimsy of the print made me just want it that much more! Perfect for a casual summer dress to walk the dog, run errands or sit on a patio.
The bodice for this pattern was the most cone shaped of any 50s pattern I’ve used to date. I needed to reshape the horizontal darts and reshape and lengthen the vertical darts. It’s still not perfect, but at least the bust points don’t sit an inch out from my actual bust point any more!
The zipper insertion was new to me. It called for a slash in the skirt piece, a facing sewn and turned and then a lapped zipper put in. For the most part, I prefer using invisible zippers whenever I can - I just prefer the clean look of no “flaps” to a lapped zipper. The skirt of this dress is quite full so I decided it wouldn’t be a big deal to just slash the skirt all the way to the hem, bind the edges and insert an invisible zip.
Now that I’ve made the bust adjustments, this dress could easily be made in a day. Here is the finished dress:
(That is my wee little house guest, Diefenbaker the elderly Jack Russell, photo-bombing the picture.)
My mother was taken with the bias work I was doing on my seams and she thought the inside deserved a picture as well, so here it is:
I should be starting on my “Pride & Prejudice & Zombies” dress next, but in that box of patterns above is that cute girls red dress with head scarf that may need my attention first…
Keep an eye out for what comes next!