One bodice, three different dresses

by Bea on June 21, 2013 · 21 comments

in 1950s,1960s,Dresses

A few months ago I came across this beautiful picture on Pinterest and loved everything about it. The dress, the styling, the model of course.

source on pinterest, taken from http://jitterbugdoll.blogspot.jp/ I recommend ths blog.

I pinned it to my Pinterest and forgot about it for a while. I dug it back up when looking for some sewing inspiration and made my own bodice inspired by the picture. I paired it with a full gathered skirt and this is the finished result.

I like the bodice pattern so much, that I made it again with a circle skirt and straps

and my third version with straps again and pencil skirt

I like all three versions for different reasons. My favourite is probably the circle skirt version. I like mixing and matching bodices to different skirt variations. I makes the most of the patterns I have or make myself. I think I could add an A-line version in the future. What do you think? Or any other shape?

If you are interested here are all three versions on my blog:

version 1

version 2

version 3

XO Thank you.

Twitter: @Beatrice_Winter Instagram: @beatricewinter Hi everyone, I am a German girl living in the UK. I am in love with all things vintage. My favourite decades are the 1920s-1960s. I am a freelance seamstress, property investor, army wife and crazy cat lady. Please visit my blog or add me on Twitter. I am interested in all your projects and inspirations and also would love to hear what you think about mine. XX

Bea's posts / Bea's website

LilliansEnsembles June 21, 2013 at 8:21 am

Nice job on all three but I think I like the circle skirt the most. Very clever, Well Done.

Veronica

Bea June 22, 2013 at 1:31 am

Thank you Veronica. That is my favourite as well.

Peggy June 21, 2013 at 8:48 am

Did you draft the bodice pattern, or did you start out with a commercial pattern ?
I really like the strapped versions, very flattering (not to mention bra-friendly !).

Bea June 22, 2013 at 1:32 am

I drafted the bodice and skirt patterns. I thought exactly the same about the straps being bra friendly.

Michelle Handyside June 21, 2013 at 11:25 am

Absolutely stunning (dresses and model!) wish I looked like that in the dresses I make, I think the only thing we may have in common, apart from the ability to create stunning outfits, is I believe we source our fabric from the same place! Anyway, keep up the good work, they all look beautiful.

Bea June 22, 2013 at 1:35 am

Thank you for your kind words Michelle. The first two fabrics are from the same supplier, the third is bought locally at Fabricland in Reading.

Francie June 21, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I love the flowery, full look of the circle-skirt version. In the early ’70s, every other dress in my closet had this romantic-rose-bouquets-after-midnight type of fabric – except they were mini-skirted! It warms my heart to see it again. I could picture the bodice in a dainty floral, with a solid-color A-line skirt picking up the background of the floral. Or had you thought of an 8-gored 1940s skirt (or a less costly ’70s version pattern of the same?) The type that is very fitted at the waist, and then very flared at the hem. It would look nice with a covered-buckle belt it the same fabric. The skirt pattern I am thinking of only takes about 1 and 3/4 yards. All 4 dresses are very pretty!

Bea W June 24, 2013 at 12:37 am

Wow that’s a lot of great ideas. Thank you so much. I wouldn’t even have thought of a gored skirt. Great idea!!

Tina C. June 21, 2013 at 5:07 pm

The pictures aren’t showing up…

K2 June 21, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one who can’t see the pictures.

Bea June 22, 2013 at 1:30 am

I’m so sorry about the pictures. They stopped working over night and I only realised it this morning. I fixed it now.

Dellis June 22, 2013 at 7:21 am

Well done, You!
Like all versions, but circle skirt the most.
Definitely think A-line version would be lovely.
(Love your fabric choices, too!)
D’ellis

Bea W June 24, 2013 at 12:38 am

Thank you, yes an A-line version is definitely a must-try.

tanyamaile June 22, 2013 at 9:39 am

I love all of them!!! Great job!!!

Elizabeth June 22, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I love love love the second version! And yay for bra-friendly straps. I was really hoping the bodice was from an existing pattern, as I’ve got a couple of patterns with full skirts that I can borrow from.

Don’t you love treating patterns like components you can mix to get what you really want? “I love this bit from here, and that bodice, and ooh, the skirt from this third pattern. Tweak them a bit to fit together, change that neckline and draft a couple of pieces for a new facing and– what? No, it’s not hard.”

Bea W June 24, 2013 at 12:42 am

I always Frankenstein patterns together to make the most of my patterns, store bought or drafted. That’s the best way to start playing with pattern drafting/cutting as it gives you am understanding of how bits and pieces go together.

Camelia Crinoline June 22, 2013 at 9:24 pm

The dresses are lovely and your hairstyles are fantastic.

Bea W June 24, 2013 at 12:44 am

Thank you, I’m getting into playing around with my hair more and more.

Foamofdays June 23, 2013 at 4:24 pm

All three of them are GORGEOUS!

Bea W June 24, 2013 at 12:44 am

League of Legends RP Generator October 12, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Hey there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga
group? There’s a lot of people that I think would