McCall’s 8813 Suit

Vintage Suit made from McCall's 8813 and Simplicity 3581

I’ve always wanted a vintage suit but they are hard to find and expensive, so I decided to make one. I had some green wool fabric that I bought second hand which was the perfect weight for a suit.

Vintage McCall's 8813 Suit Pattern

I used McCall’s 8813 for the jacket. I bought the pattern without its envelope so I’m not sure which year it’s from. I didn’t like the shape of the skirt from the McCall’s pattern, so I used another vintage pattern, Simplicity 3581, for the skirt.

Suit made from vintage McCall's 8813 and Simplicity 3581

I used some traditional tailoring techniques on the jacket including hair canvas, bound buttonholes and back and armhole stays. I made the covered buttons using an old kit that I bought at a thrift store. I’m really pleased with how it turned out.

There are more pictures and a couple of posts about the construction of the jacket here.

• Meet the Author • Camelia Crinoline

• Very nice suit! you look great!

• Wow! Love it! It looks amazing on you!

• This is really beautiful! Looks fantastic!

• The suit is stunning! You chose the perfect fabric in the perfect color, and you tailored it beautifully. Well done!

• Oooh, you’ve hit on my absolute most favorite thing in vintage clothing and patterns: fitted suits from the ’50s! Your creation is magnificent. Just beautiful.

• Amazing suit! I love the color of your fabric! Well done!

• You did a really fantastic job!

• Wow, that suit is amazing. I love the rich colour and all the detail on it. I’m sure the jacket and skirt make good separates as well.
    Great work.

• My goodness, that jacket is amazing. You’ve done a wonderful job!

• Wonderful!!!!Thank you for inspiring me to finally get around to making my own vintage suit of which I already have the pattern and fabrics for.

• That jacket is amazing! So impressed.

• Woah, that suit looks fantastic! I would´ve guessed it´s an original.

• That is a total freaking knockout!

• Beautiful! Traditional tailoring always intimidates me a bit.

I don’t like the style of skirt in the suit pattern, either. I have some Vogue 40s suit patterns (the reissues) with a very similar skirt, and the fit is just weird and unflattering. I don’t know if it’s because most women wore girdles back then, or they just had different ideas of what was attractive, but if you’ve got any sort of a tummy, it makes it look 10X worse.

• I was intimidated by the tailoring bit too, but the pattern had good instructions.

Exactly. I find they are an unflattering fit and length. I think most of women probably wore girdles then and the patterns assume that whoever makes them will be wearing one.

• I have found in even the reissue vintage patterns they assume you will be wearing the “correct” undergarments. It is amazing the fit difference when you opt for a bullet bra over a modern one!

The suit is fab and looks so classic! Great job.

• Thanks everyone for all your lovely comments!

• Absolutely gorgeous! You make me want to push all my other sewing projects aside and make a 1940′s-’50′s wool suit, and I live in Florida!! Are you serious that you can’t find decent wool fabric in New Zealand? :( I’m sorry…I’m sure that if I had a beautiful wool suit like that, I would be perfectly happy!

• Thanks! It might be a bit hot for a wool suit in Florida at the moment.
      Yes, it’s very hard to get wool fabric here in New Zealand which is weird because we have so many sheep. I was just lucky I found a 16 metre roll of the green wool I used for the suit on our version of ebay.

• I found it a bit challenging to find suitable wool fabric in Australia too. It was a real mission and it was only for a men’s “lounging around” robe so that my Queenslander can enjoy winter in his century old house (also called a Queenslander – built on posts so they’re cool in summer).

• What a gorgeous pattern. It turned out so beautifully. Suit to die for!

• Fabulous suit! I love the green wool and the cut and detailing on the jacket are superb. Fantastic to see the construction details on your blog. Thanks for sharing!

• Well done! It looks great! I love the color so much!

• Beautiful. That jacket is fabulous and you could pair it with so many other items.

• Stunning!

The drawing style of your pattern, and the shape of the jacket, makes me think early 50′s. :)

• Amazing work! Looks wonderful on you as well.

• Wowza – thats great! Congrats, you must be chuffed!