I’m in the midst of making my Pride and Prejudice and Zombies costume, but as much as I’m enjoying it, there is a whole lot of cream going on with the dress.  I decided to whip up a colourful little dress for my friend’s wee girl.

If you have read my previous posts, you’ll know that I was lucky enough to receive a box of 68 vintage patterns for my birthday from a friend’s mum.  This little dress is the first pattern used from that amazing gift.

Butterick 4246 with the pink linen found in the envelope.

I used this Butterick 4246, View B – Sleeveless A-line dress with large bow detail in back.  When I opened up the envelope, I found the pink linen and a pink zipper tucked inside.  I was told by the gifter, that her family member remembers the pink dress!

Gum drop quilting cotton from my stash.

I found just enough of this quilting cotton to make the dress in my stash.  I love how colourful and cheerful this fabric is.  I like to use quilting fabrics for kids clothes.  They usually hold up pretty good to wash and wear and they’re easy to work with.

I’m addicted to using Hug Snug – even in kids clothes.  If I had just over-locked the seams, the dress would have been whipped up in an afternoon, BUT as I said – I’m addicted.

Here are pictures of the finished product:

Simple front.

Back of dress with the sublime bow.

Finished seams with Hug Snug.

Now, back to the zombie dress with me!

I live in beautiful Vancouver, BC (Canada) and have been sewing for almost 30 years (eek!) My grandmother put my first "real" sewing project in my hands when I was about 8 years old - a counted cross stitch - to ensure my hand sewing was up to par before I was allowed to use a machine. I have recently "retired" and while learning to be a haus frau for my almost vegan hubby and my four-legged Parson Terrier son, I have had a chance to get back to sewing! I hope to be able to share some of my work with you on a fairly regular basis!

girliefrank's posts / girliefrank's website

Tina June 16, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Wow! What an amazing finish on the inside of the dress! I am drooling because I wish I could do that. Is that a satin bias binding?

girliefrank June 17, 2013 at 1:19 am

Thank you Tina. The product is called Hug Snug and I believe it’s rayon bias tape/binding. It comes in a mind-boggling number of colours and I find the pricing fairly reasonable. It’s very easy to use!

Debbie Feely June 16, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I love the styling and your amazing craftmanship. I like the bow in the back. I’ve seen so many with the big bow in the front but in my experience littles fiddle with things like that. Very nice!

girliefrank June 17, 2013 at 1:20 am

Thanks Debbie. I loved how simple the front of the dress was and how much fun that bow is. I had worried that it would be bothersome to sit back in, but I played with the knot for a bit and it’s set quite high, so I think I’m good.

Deb June 16, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Love that bow on the back and the finished inside is just beautiful!

girliefrank June 17, 2013 at 1:21 am

Thanks Deb! I’m just as pleased with the inside as I am with the outside.

Sewingthe60s June 16, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Oh thats so cute! and the insides a beautiful! I love seen the insides as i learn so much about seams and bias binding (in this case)

girliefrank June 17, 2013 at 1:23 am

Thank you! At first I thought I was just strange that I wanted to show off the inside of my projects, but I’ve had people like yourself who appreciate seeing them.

Amy Mayen June 16, 2013 at 11:47 pm

I LOVE this little dress! I prefer quilters cotton for kids clothes too…last forever, doesn’t stain much…I’ve made stuff that’s on its3rd or 4th kid by now & still looks brand new:)

girliefrank June 17, 2013 at 1:24 am

Thanks Amy. I’ve had friends hand down stuff I’ve made them and it makes me happy how well they hold up!

Elizabeth June 17, 2013 at 11:51 pm

I make summer dresses and skirts for *myself* out of quilter’s cotton. It’s so comfortable and easy to care for, and it wears like iron, so I can make something I love and know it’ll last for several years.

girliefrank June 18, 2013 at 2:37 am

I agree Elizabeth, there are some REALLY adorable prints to use for summer dresses/skirts in the cottons. Really great for traveling too!

Yulia June 16, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Oh, this is sooo pretty. An the inside makes me crazy – soooo neat!!!

girliefrank June 17, 2013 at 1:25 am

Thank you Yulia. I’m a little bit of a perfectionist sometimes, and even though binding the edges takes extra time, it makes me so happy with the outcome.

mariebayarea June 17, 2013 at 12:55 am

Very sweet. Love the big bow in the back.

girliefrank June 17, 2013 at 1:27 am

Thank you Marie! The bow is what caught my eye the first time I saw it. So cute.

Susan September 5, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Hello!
I have bee searching for this dress pattern all over the place… any chance you’d be willing to part with it? :) I’d be so happy if you’d sell it to me…
Please let me know, thank you!
Susan

Susan September 5, 2013 at 10:23 pm

And by the way, the dress you made here is gorgeous!! A very happy little girl wearing this, I’m sure!