Gumdrop 60s

I’m in the midst of making my Pride and Prejudice and Zombies costume, but as much as I’m enjoying it, there is a whole lot of cream going on with the dress.  I decided to whip up a colourful little dress for my friend’s wee girl.

If you have read my previous posts, you’ll know that I was lucky enough to receive a box of 68 vintage patterns for my birthday from a friend’s mum.  This little dress is the first pattern used from that amazing gift.

Butterick 4246 with the pink linen found in the envelope.

I used this Butterick 4246, View B – Sleeveless A-line dress with large bow detail in back.  When I opened up the envelope, I found the pink linen and a pink zipper tucked inside.  I was told by the gifter, that her family member remembers the pink dress!

Gum drop quilting cotton from my stash.

I found just enough of this quilting cotton to make the dress in my stash.  I love how colourful and cheerful this fabric is.  I like to use quilting fabrics for kids clothes.  They usually hold up pretty good to wash and wear and they’re easy to work with.

I’m addicted to using Hug Snug – even in kids clothes.  If I had just over-locked the seams, the dress would have been whipped up in an afternoon, BUT as I said – I’m addicted.

Here are pictures of the finished product:

Simple front.

Back of dress with the sublime bow.

Finished seams with Hug Snug.

Now, back to the zombie dress with me!

• Meet the Author • girliefrank

I live in beautiful Vancouver, BC (Canada) and have been sewing for almost 30 years (eek!) My grandmother put my first "real" sewing project in my hands when I was about 8 years old - a counted cross stitch - to ensure my hand sewing was up to par before I was allowed to use a machine. I have recently "retired" and while learning to be a haus frau for my almost vegan hubby and my four-legged Parson Terrier son, I have had a chance to get back to sewing! I hope to be able to share some of my work with you on a fairly regular basis!

• Wow! What an amazing finish on the inside of the dress! I am drooling because I wish I could do that. Is that a satin bias binding?

• Thank you Tina. The product is called Hug Snug and I believe it’s rayon bias tape/binding. It comes in a mind-boggling number of colours and I find the pricing fairly reasonable. It’s very easy to use!

• I love the styling and your amazing craftmanship. I like the bow in the back. I’ve seen so many with the big bow in the front but in my experience littles fiddle with things like that. Very nice!

• Thanks Debbie. I loved how simple the front of the dress was and how much fun that bow is. I had worried that it would be bothersome to sit back in, but I played with the knot for a bit and it’s set quite high, so I think I’m good.

• Love that bow on the back and the finished inside is just beautiful!

• Thanks Deb! I’m just as pleased with the inside as I am with the outside.

• Oh thats so cute! and the insides a beautiful! I love seen the insides as i learn so much about seams and bias binding (in this case)

• Thank you! At first I thought I was just strange that I wanted to show off the inside of my projects, but I’ve had people like yourself who appreciate seeing them.

• I LOVE this little dress! I prefer quilters cotton for kids clothes too…last forever, doesn’t stain much…I’ve made stuff that’s on its3rd or 4th kid by now & still looks brand new:)

• Thanks Amy. I’ve had friends hand down stuff I’ve made them and it makes me happy how well they hold up!

• I make summer dresses and skirts for *myself* out of quilter’s cotton. It’s so comfortable and easy to care for, and it wears like iron, so I can make something I love and know it’ll last for several years.

• I agree Elizabeth, there are some REALLY adorable prints to use for summer dresses/skirts in the cottons. Really great for traveling too!

• Oh, this is sooo pretty. An the inside makes me crazy – soooo neat!!!

• Thank you Yulia. I’m a little bit of a perfectionist sometimes, and even though binding the edges takes extra time, it makes me so happy with the outcome.

• Very sweet. Love the big bow in the back.

• Thank you Marie! The bow is what caught my eye the first time I saw it. So cute.

• Hello!
    I have bee searching for this dress pattern all over the place… any chance you’d be willing to part with it? :) I’d be so happy if you’d sell it to me…
    Please let me know, thank you!
    Susan

• And by the way, the dress you made here is gorgeous!! A very happy little girl wearing this, I’m sure!

• I’m not sure how I missed this post Susan! Sorry for not responding. I don’t think I want to sell the pattern, but I think I could trace out a copy for you if you’d like. Let me know.

« LAST POST