Yet again I’ve made up a modern pattern – Elisalex from By Hand London – using some vintage fabric from my stash. Initially, I was concerned about how the Elisalex skirt shape would suit my curves, but I’m over the moon with the end result – the silhouette feels theatrical and high fashion at the same time. And I think you’ll agree that the pattern itself has a very retro feel to it.
This sweet little pattern comes with great instructions (helpful for other projects too) and sews up surprisingly easily and quickly. Sure, the princess seams are tricky little buggers – but more fiddly than difficult really. Before cutting out a size 8 (US) / 12 (UK), I shortened the bodice pieces by an inch and took a whopping 10.5 inches off the skirt. I then dared not to make a muslin, as princess seams are easy enough to adjust. It was a gamble, but it paid off. The shoulders and back fitted perfectly and I got rid of some side boob gaping by just taking in my princess seams by an extra 1cm from the armhole to my bust apex.
I literally pulled out all the stops to make this dress as beautiful as I could – I top stitched the neckline and armholes, hand stitched the hem, hand picked the zip, matched up my princess seams and box pleats and fully lined the entire thing.
If you’re interested in more information or a gazillion more photos, pop on over to my blog – A Stitching Odyssey.
Hope you’ve all had an excellent weekend!