Blue and White Birthday Dress

by Emilys Vintage Visions

in 1940s,Dresses,Vintage Sewing

Hello everyone! This is my first post on WeSewRetro and I’m exciting to be here.

I wanted to make something special for myself for my birthday this year. I recently added some vintage sewing patterns to my stash so I thought I would use one of them. I had a tough time desiding on just one so I asked my blog readers for suggestions. I eventually picked Hollywood pattern 1413 and I’m so glad I did. Going through my fabric stash I found this really lovely blue and white cotton. It turned out to be a good choice because it matched the hat I purchased at the Sturbridge Textile Show in May and a pair of navy blue gloves and purse I had in my collection.


I knew I would need to line the dress because the blue and white cotton is a little see through. But that turned out ok as I was able to use the muslin mock-up for the bodice lining! I think this is the first pattern I’ve used in a long time that didn’t need any major alterations. This pattern fit perfectly and it was super easy to put together! I spent one evening playing around with the pattern pieces making sure I actually had enough fabric. (I think I started with somewhere between 2 1/2 and 3 yards) The actual sewing of the dress was completed in a day. Yep, a whole day. Ok, I was up until 11pm working on the darn thing but I got it done!

The skirt is made of three pieces plus the side drape. The back piece, which you can see in the upper right of this photo, was suppose to be cut on the fold. I marked one half then flipped the pattern piece over and marked the other half as I figured out the most economical way to place the all pattern pieces. The skirt front is made of two pieces, the larger of the two you can see in the lower left of the photo. It has three diagonal tucks on one side.
It’s a good thing I re-read the instructions before I began cutting! The bodice front is cut with the grain running cross ways instead of up and down like all the other pieces. At first I wasn’t sure how this was going to look because the blue and white fabric has little woven stripes but it didn’t seem to matter. The blue design on the fabric looked the same either way. Unless you are looking at the finished dress really close you can’t tell.


The only real challenge I had with this dress was the gathered section of the bodice front. Fiddly is the best way to describe it. I ended up extending the bust darts up to the base of the gathered section to give the front a smoother fit. Other than that I didn’t need to change anything. I also left the bow off the bodice but figure that’s an easy thing to add later.

This post was written by...

– who has written 5 posts on WeSewRetro.com.

My name is Emily. I have always loved vintage and historic fashions. My main focus is the 18th century but I love the classy look of the 1920s, through the 1950s. I enjoy researching, collecting, and creating historic and vintage clothing just for fun. Any excuse to get dressed up is fine with me! My Blog - Emily's Vintage Visions http://vintagevisions27.blogspot.com/

Emilys Vintage Visions's posts / Emilys Vintage Visions's website

{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

Nay June 26, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Gorgeous!

Reply

Emilys Vintage Visions June 27, 2013 at 7:49 am

Thank you Nay! I had a lot of fun creating this dress. :)
-Emily

Reply

EmSewCrazy June 29, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Super cute! Great job on matching fabric and accessories!

Reply

Emilys Vintage Visions July 19, 2013 at 10:11 am

Thank you EmSewCrazy! I love putting different things together to create an outfit!

Reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: