60s McCalls 2440 Wrap Dress

I spent the weekend sewing this beauty up on my new machine. I used a lovely medium weight teal cotton edged with Michael Miller atomic cotton bias binding (all made by me…my first foray into bias binding!)

McCalls 2440

If you’d like to find out more, please check out my blog, any help and advice would be appreciated on sewing vintage patterns, I’m a relative newbie!

McCalls 2440 Finished
McCalls 2440 Finished

• Meet the Author • Stacey Stitch

Hello I’m Stacey, 30 something, Manchester residing. This (and my blog) is to chronicle my onward plodding adventure into sewing and knitting. I have always been a lover of crafts, from a young age I have embroidered and dabbled a little with sewing and knitting. I have made a couple of garments and would like to share what I have learnt and what I will be learning as I go along in the hope that you can help me and I can help you (more of the former than the latter I think!)

• Very CUTE! Great color.

• I love this pattern! I made it . . . oh, my goodness, I can’t believe it was four years ago already, out of a pink cotton-polyester bedsheet. Your photos are much better than mine, obviously.

I need to lower the bust darts on mine but that’s a long-torso issue, not a pattern problem. I should make it again; I wear the pink one a lot.

• I actually found your blog before I started sewing which was a great help! Yours is lovely :)

I think I’ll end up making it in a few other colours for next summer for definite.

• Looks really great, Well done. Feels good to make something, once I started, that was it, no stopping after that.

• Thank you…….I have literally just been riffling through my patterns to decide on what to sew next….there’ll be no stopping me now ;)

• Bias stops me in my tracks. I’ve just recently tried using it again, in very small pieces : ) Amazing job with all that! Wow!

• Thanks Debbie, it certainly was a learning curve but I’ve almost got the hang of it (even if I did waiver slightly from the edge in places!)

• I have an unholy love affair with pockets, so I approve heartily of this dress.

• That’s the first thing my husband said when he saw it “blimey! those pockets are massive” if they’re big enough to hold a book I’m happy!

• I love the pattern, and your finished dress!!

• Cute dress! i like the bias trim. Is it just simple wrap around dress?

• Yeah, it’s not very different from a a vintage swirl dress :)

• Congrats on making bias binding! I have no problem using it but I’m all thumbs when it comes to making my own!

• Thanks Stephanie, I feel like I;m almost there but I’m certainly not scared of it after making all of that ;)

• I love this! The color, the pockets, the wrap-around style, and the bias trim!

• Gorgeous! And great colour choices – well done!

• It looks great. I love the colour and the binding.

• It looks lovely on you! Great job with colors and the sewing. I have found vintage patterns can give you a better fit than a lot of modern ones. Keep up the good work!

• I was stumbled upon your blog while laying here in my McCall’s 2440 wrap dress! Mine is in a white fabric with blue roses. I love seeing a version with the pockets…I skipped that detail, though I was just thinking today that I would make another one with pockets. Beautiful fabric for your dress, it looks lovely on you.