50′s polka-dot

Hello everyone))),

I am showing off my polka-dot 50′s dress this time. If you do 50′s style you have to have at least one polka-dot dress, so here’s mine.

polka-dot new look 50s dress

My polka-dot dress

It’s pretty simple, based on the basic pattern I have drafted using an old Soviet sewing book. Here it is on the right. I use a scanned version, but I’d love to have trhe hard copy))). I loooooove this book ’cause it helps me look and feel georgeous)))

The dress I am showing is not any specific vintage model or pattern. There are models I would love to repeat, but this time I just came up with the design in the spirit of those times and used vintage pattern-drafting techniques.

The dress is cut on the waist and under the brests, above the upper cut the fabric is gathered a bit to create more volume on the top and outline an hour-glass silouhette.

One more thing that works in that direction is a cape sleeve that is one detail with the bodice (sorry, do not know the right tirm in English)))) This type of sleeve makes your arms look slimmer because it’s not too tight, but not too big.

And the skirt is a half-cirle gathered on the waist 2:1 ratio.

The flower just clips on the dress – I was too lazy to make something and the dress really asked for some kind of an acent. I have found that 50′s cut is the most complinetary for my body, so i am finally loving my clothing))).

It is reeeeally hot now in Ukraine – over 40 degrees Celcium and most people when the can wear something that looks good enough for the beach. But since I stared wearing new look dresses to work I have noticed ladies in other offices have started wearing dresses more (including ones with full skirts)))). I wonder if it is just the coincidense?

Have fun sewing)))),
Yulia

• Meet the Author • Yulia

Hi! I was born in USSR, growing up in post-soviet-collapse-tough-ninties, nowdays living in capitalistic ;) Ukraine. My Mom was sewing for me and my sister, so we never looked like kids around. At that time I thought it was a thing showing off how poor we were. I grew up and started sewing because this was the only affordable way to dress for me. Now I do it because I love it. Not long ago I have fallen in love with the 50's. I draft my patterns based on old Soviet sewing books.

• Gorgeous! I love both the dress pattern and the polka dots, very cute!

• That is really cute, and you look so happy in it! Good job!

• This looks fantastic! I love the 50s style dresses, they don’t always work for me and I tend to prefer a more modern look, but it’s always going to be a classic (: you look great (:
    Astrid xo

• EXTREMELY CUTE! Well done, I just started a similar dress. Lovely job, you look fantastic…

• <3 <3 <3 This dress! This is my favorite style; so simple looking and so flattering. Love the polka dots too. I think its very interesting that other ladies where you work are now wearing dresses; maybe ask them why! It might be because of Summer/warm temperatures, but in our 'enforced casual' lifestyle (always with the jeans and t-shirts) it can be intimidating to 'dress up' in something nicer like a dress. I'm glad you broke the ice at your work and (maybe subconsciously) let those other ladies know that it's OK to wear dresses. :^)

• Pepper said it for me! I absolutely love this dress, and glad to see the ladies in your office are dressing up a bit- it might feel odd at first, but it really makes your whole day better when you’re nicely dressed. :D

• I am very impressed that you drafted the pattern yourself! You look absolutely beautiful. We call those sleeves cap sleeves in the US. You were very close. Your English is fantastic.

• Everyone needs polka dots in their life! The big flower really makes the outfit that much more beautiful. Love it all

• I love it! I made my wedding dress in a very similar style… Great for dancing all night!

• I really like the dresses you have made. Thank you for posting the photos of them!

• lovely dress.ive fallen in love with the 1950′s styles.

• I love this style. (In fact, I am wearing something similar [floral design--not polka dots] right now.) You look gorgeous.

• So pretty! And I think that seeing someone in a cute dress like yours is contagious – you might just be influencing the ladies who see you to wear their own dresses. =)

• I think maybe you mean a kimono sleeve which is wear the sleeve is not a separate piece, but rather just an extension of the bodice piece.

Either way, you are just too cute! I adore this dress and I really want to go find some polka dot fabric and make one for myself.

• Adorable dress! I really wonder if you’re inspiring the other ladies. Dresses in the right fabrics are so easy and comfortable in hot weather.

• Beautiful and so glamourous! Keep up the 50s work and maybe you will start a revolution in your office ;-) About the sleeves, they are both kimono (the style, meaning they are in one pice with the bodice) and cap (the length that stops just on the cap of your shoulder). I love this shoulder style, it’s so much more flattering than completely sleeveless. And i love your posts from Ukraine, this forest looks divine ,tell us more!

• Lovely dress! Love the polka dots and it goes so well with 50s silhouette..
    The fit is perfect and the dress looks so gorgeous on you!

• Wow! This is just perfect and you couldn´t have chosen a better fabric for this dress!
    Isabella

• I have a wedding to go to today, and your post reminded me that I have a navy and white polka dot dress that would be perfect! I’ll add some red accents, like shoes, nail polish and a red sash. I wanted you to know that you have inspired me, halfway around the world from you in St. Louis, Missouri, USA!

• What a lovely dress!

• So pretty!! Looks great!

• You’re such a doll. This is a beautiful dress.

• You look wonderful! What a beautiful dress. Way to go inspiring the other office ladies.

• I love it! Great job!

• that dress is just adorable :)

• I totally agree that everyone needs at least one polkadot dress. Love your version and well done drafting it yourself! I also love the flower corsage a lot. Great outfit.

• Greetings to you in Ukraine from Texas! Your waistline is perfect for the nipped-in shape of 1950s dresses.

• It is a very sweet dress! I love the polka dot fabric. It’s nice that you drafted it yourself. :)