1960′s Camel skirt

by alleycat on June 6, 2013 · 7 comments

in 1960s,Skirts,Vintage Sewing

I finished this Mccall’s 8077 pattern.

I made the dress into a skirt by moving the zipper from the side to the back seam and cut some length off the skirt. I had a few issues with gathering and will really spend the time to do 3 rows of gathering stitches and a hand baste if I do something like this again. I lined this skirt with a mid grey chetah print fabric I had in my stash.

more projects at www.littlethistles.blogspot.com

This post was written by...

– who has written 2 posts on WeSewRetro.com.

alleycat's posts / alleycat's website

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

mariebayarea June 6, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I want your skirt. It’s a beautiful, perfect, and oh so versatile wardrobe basic.


allison June 7, 2013 at 12:50 am

Thanks :-) versatile is a good thing!


Elizabeth June 6, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Don’t you love how you can get extra mileage from a dress pattern by using it for a skirt pattern?
And your gathers look fine. They can be fiddly, can’t they?


allison June 7, 2013 at 12:53 am

I do! I love making 1950′s tops from dresses..it’s more casual than the whole 50′s dress get up :-)


EmSewCrazy June 7, 2013 at 9:13 pm

How fun! Love the surprise inside. I hadn’t thought of taking the skirt of a dress and turning it into a stand alone piece. What a great idea!


Catherine Alekna June 9, 2013 at 4:30 am

Very cute and clever! The pattern picture looks already like its a 2 piece but that was a good idea to separate them


allie June 9, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I love the seams down the front and the very sixties feeling level of fullness. Plus what could be better than a cheetah print lining!! I think I’ll have to copy this!


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: