1940′s Style Blouse

by LilliansEnsembles on June 22, 2013 · 9 comments

in Vintage Sewing

So in my endeavors to make a 40′s wardrobe I made a blouse, I love the puffy sleeves and I really like the peter pan collars and I found a pattern thats fits both. This is a modern pattern but has that vintage feel. The pattern is Butterick 5711 and was not too difficult to make, the collar needed extra attention to get it just right but don’t they all….   I also found this perfect baby blue material with little white dots and got it at a great bargain. So pleased with it. Looks really good with my wide leg pants or my rockabilly trousers.

Hello, I have been sewing, knitting and crocheting for years and now am in the process of building a 1940's wardrobe for myself. Love that era.

LilliansEnsembles's posts / LilliansEnsembles's website

Dellis June 22, 2013 at 7:16 am

Love your blouse – such appropriate fabric, too!
Peaked at your website – good luck in UK, scooping up op shop goodies! Love your turban, too.
Cheers!
D’ellis

mariebayarea June 22, 2013 at 11:16 am

Cute!

Joanna June 22, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Oh a big congratulations to you! Looks lovely! This is something I really want to do. I’ve gotten a couple of “repo’s” and they never quite fit right. Nothing better than figuring it out yourself:)

LilliansEnsembles June 22, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Joanna,
I followed the pattern exactly for my size and love it, it nips in at the waist giving a really cute hour glass shape and the sleeves stay puffy…great pattern.

Happy Crafting, Veronica

Deb June 22, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Love this! I’m going to have to look for this one!

LilliansEnsembles June 22, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Cheapest place I found was JoAnns when they have them on sale.

Elizabeth June 22, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Darling blouse! Once you’re familiar with the silhouettes, all kinds of modern patterns start catching your eye as having vintage details/possibilities. And I don’t worry about cherishing a modern pattern like I do a vintage one– I do all kinds of adjustments and tweaks on them.

And if I can’t find the right vintage fabric, I look for new that’s a vintage repro or has the right look. I know there are purists who scoff at that sort of thing, but I’m having too much fun and getting too much creative fulfillment to care.

LilliansEnsembles June 22, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I am not a purest either but I like to stay to patterns, modern or old that are the same design available to that period and yes there are some modern patterns that work perfect as this blouse does. I choose material I FEEL works….you should have fun with it, thats the whole point…thanks Elizabeth.

Francie June 24, 2013 at 1:58 pm

That’s a pretty addition to your ’40s wardrobe!