Vintage Fridor Stitchmaster “Merino” Sewing Machine.

I fell in love with this machine, as soon as I saw it on ebay. The clean lines, the “atomic style” shape, unlike any other machine I’d seen before. Designed in Switzerland, and made in Holland, circa 1950s.

For under $100 (including interstate postage), I think I got a bargain!

The machine arrived in its own little suitcase, decked out with leather straps inside to hold the pedal, the extension table and a cute little green bakelite box of attachments.

The Fridor Stitchmaster Merino

I spent a day cleaning her (the suitcase was full of rat droppings)…….

The machine case, sans rat poop

…..and now I own a seriously good – looking machine – even the foot pedal is attractive!

Even the foot pedal is attractive....

For a simple, straight-stitching machine, it has quite an array of extra feet, and dropping the feed-dogs is as simple as flicking a lever.

More photos on the patternpatter blog here (because I have yet to start my own!).

Bakelite light switch and Feed Dog Lever

• Meet the Author • allthepreciousthings

• Awesome! I love vintage machines; I have 2 Elna, so those Swiss machines just hum like clockwork. Have fun sewing on your new beauty!

• And the winner of Most Stylish Foot Pedal is…

• I love the style of vintage machines. Looks like it could make milk shakes too!!!

• What a great machine! I recently found a vintage Wizard brand machine and I love it! They just don’t make modern machines as pretty as the old ones!

• I need a foot pedal for my Fridor 500 deluxe, anyone know where to get one? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• I have just purchased a Fridor Stichmaster Sewing Machine, any tips or instructions would be helpful.

• sorry my email address is mrehmaan@gmail.com

• Was having no luck googling ‘Fridor sewing-machine’, so I tried ‘Fridor naaimachine’ instead and found the company where my mam last worked before she re-married and immigrated with her two sons to Amerika, Fridor in Den Haag (The Hague). As I recall, she brought one of these ‘Fridor Naaimachines’ with her when we immigrated here in mid 1954.

I posted a photo on Facebook of my brother and I celebrating ‘pakjes avond’ (St. Nick’s ‘gift evening’) sponsored by Fridor. We would sail for Amerika and Michigan in June 1954. Just found a second copy of that foto on which my mam had written ‘St. Nic’s feest – Fridor’ on the rear . . .