This past weekend our friends got married in a gorgeous little ceremony on the Gold Coast. When the wedding invitation first arrived I decided I would make myself a dress to wear. I spent a while searching for inspiration and after getting some advice on twitter about where to get some nice red lace I picked up some gorgeous lace with a scalloped design from Darn Cheap Fabrics. Now before I go on I must say the ladies from Darn Cheap were a massive help. I had multiple emails with two lovely ladies and they sent me swatches of all the laces they had in stock. Once I had decided I ordered via email and my fabric arrived the very next day. Now I am not getting paid to say this I just love finding a great shop with affordable fabric and great service! Now onto the dress….
The dress is a hybrid of two patterns. The bodice is from vintage Simplicity 5343 and the skirt and sleeves came from New Look 6723. I had used this bodice before when making my sewing dare dress and I knew that it fit well so I decided to use it again rather than having to fit the bodice from the New Look pattern. Also, the new look bodice has princess seams and I didn’t feel like trying to match the lace on those seams. As the skirt was partially gathered it was really easy to match it up to the alternate bodice. I also lengthened the skirt pattern a little bit.
The dress is lined in a red cotton poplin. After cutting all the pattern pieces I hand basted the lining and lace together and worked through construction as if they were one piece of fabric. I took a lot of time on this one to make sure the insides were just as neat as the outside. I’m pretty happy with how it all turned out! I used bias binding the hem the lining and for the neckline. The perfect finishing touch was the hand picked zipper which I finished sewing in at 9pm Friday night. I am so happy with how this dress turned out and that I managed to get it finished in time. For my first time working with lace I think I did pretty well!