I originally started off with this pattern some time ago – a vintage 1970′s (Simplicity 6883) shirtdress, with big promises of making me ‘look slimmer’…

But once I had cut the pattern out and tacked it together, it was doing nothing for me (this is the second time I have tried this pattern, so maybe it is time to accept defeat.)

 

The fabric is a vintage 60′s lightweight polyester jersey, and it’s pretty bold, yet strangely alluring. I didn’t want to scrap it, so I folded it up with thoughts of returning to it at some point.

 

That point finally came when I spied this pattern in a half price sale recently. (New Look 6176)

Now granted it is not the most inspiring of patterns, but I like a nice simple shift dress, especially when teamed with a bright print. So the next step was to see whether the pieces I had already cut out would fit the new pattern. JUST! I had to make a few tweaks, the main one being the fact that the first pattern buttoned up, so there were 2 front pieces, which looked too mismatched to just whack a seam up the front. But a handy piece of toning bias tape worked well with the Mod vibe, and actually ended up looking pretty smart.

The pattern has separate neck and cuff panels, so I dug out some black cord to offset the pattern, with the finishing touch of 3 little vintage black bobble buttons at the front. I am pretty pleased with how it turned out, although there were a couple of small fitting issues (the neckline was a bit too wide for my fairly narrow shoulders, and the cord is a tad heavy so it ends up gaping slightly when I bend over!) but given the fact this started out as a completely different dress, I think it turned out to be quite a cute little Mod number! I already have plans for a longer sleeve version, and maybe I’ll try out some pockets too!

This post was written by...

– who has written 1 posts on WeSewRetro.com.

Hi, I'm Ruth, a UK costume designer and vintage lover, now running a vintage sewing website from home, whilst being a mum and sewing up a storm! I have a love of 1930's and 40's design, but tend to wear more 50's and 60's influenced clothing, be it vintage or handmade.

thepolishedbutton's posts / thepolishedbutton's website

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Jennifer May 24, 2013 at 11:36 am

It really is an adorable little dress. I can see why you held on to the fabric…fabulous! You did a great job.

Reply

Ruth May 24, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Thanks Jennifer! I have just cut out the long sleeved version in a 60′s blue crimplene – can’t wait to get started on it!

Reply

Ginny May 24, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Well done for making it work! It’s certainly a very pretty print.

P.s. My 3 year old just chimed in with “Oooh I like that dress. It’s lovey.” High praise indeed!

Reply

Ruth May 24, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Haha – I’ll always take a compliment from a toddler – my 2 year has no worries about telling me exactly what she thinks!!

Reply

Patrice May 24, 2013 at 5:04 pm

It’s really cute…the stripe up the front is perfect!

Reply

mariebayarea May 25, 2013 at 3:25 am

I love the print. Such a cool little mod dress.

Reply

EmSewCrazy May 25, 2013 at 11:42 am

Very cute! Great job resalvaging that fabric. I have always liked that Simplicity pattern. Interesting to hear how it actually makes up.

Reply

manicpop11 May 27, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Cute! The fabric is awesome!

Reply

Elizabeth May 28, 2013 at 3:25 pm

That came out very cute and vintage-looking! And the fabric is amazing.

I’ve found several New Look patterns that make really good 60s-looking dresses with the right fabric and details. They’re good at giving you that basic silhouette but with modern multi-sizing so you can really fit it to yourself.

Reply

Ruth May 28, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Thanks everyone! Glad you all like it!

Reply

Smee September 30, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I’m so glad you posted this, because I just bought this pattern because I love the mod look of it. I love the fabric pattern, too. This may be the next pattern I attempt- thank you!

Reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: