DuBarry 2154B

by Through the Alley on May 1, 2013 · 6 comments

in 1930s,Dresses,Vintage Sewing

Hi everyone! It’s been awhile since I posted something, but it’s always crazy to find time to take pictures of the things I make with school and work. Anyways, I wanted to share a dress that I made about a year ago and never got around to posting it. I used DuBarry’s 2154B from the 1930′s. I made it in like 2 days, but I ended up ruining the fabric! My iron setting was too high for the fabric, so there’s these funky burn marks everywhere. Thus I didn’t even bother fixing the crooked skirt seams. I suppose it was a good practice dress for the final draft, which I’m feeling very uninspired to start and finish. I guess you could say I just haven’t found the perfect fabric. So to remake or give up?

For more pictures check out my blog,Through the Alley!

Hi! I'm Allie, a vintage stylist and fashion design student based in Dallas. Be sure to check out my blog Through the Alley.

Through the Alley's posts / Through the Alley's website

Shawn May 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I vote for remake! I love the dress and other then the ironing issues it looks like you did an excellent job on this – looks well worth the time to make a wearable version.

were it me, I would :D

Gail May 1, 2013 at 10:42 pm

What a wonderful pattern. Is that a little jacket that is shown in the Pattern illustration ? It always goes better the second time. Wait til you find some easy to work with fabric you love, and it will be worth all the effort to master this pattern.

Sooz May 2, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Just change the skirt so you might have a printed skirt and plain bodice. It’s too cute to just put away in the cupboard!

Linda May 2, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Such a sweet pattern! Use this dress as a trial run and fitter. When you find the right fabric that inspires you, you will likely want to give it another go. It will be so much easier then.

We all make mistakes, even those of us who have been sewing a long time. As I mentioned in my post last week, the first attempt at my top went into the trash as the fabric fell apart under the presser foot. Patience and persistence is the key to sewing in my opinion.

Really looking forward to seeing your second attempt. Hang in there. :)

mariebayarea May 3, 2013 at 12:34 am

Remake!

Jessamyn May 3, 2013 at 7:57 am

Remake! Definitely cute and worth it. Look at it this way: you’ve already done the muslin (and learned something about fabric) so now whipping up the “real” dress will be a breeze!