I’ve been working on this early 60s coat for awhile and I finished the hand stitching this weekend.
Initially it had a collar but I didn’t have enough fabric to make a full front facing so off came the collar!
The fit is similar to the 50s style car coats – it’s shapeless and only has 2 small darts at the back to stop it looking too sack like. The pattern I used was Butterick 2624 (1-2-3 Shift!)
I modified the coat pattern so it had longer sleeves, more room in the hips and added some pockets.
I bound the edges with Bias tape and then realised I’d sewn the facings wrong. So in the top corner the bias goes all the way to the edge – not quite right but the coat is not meant to be worn with the lapel open. I added a hook and eye to keep it closed on windy days.
The fabric is a brocade from Tessuti’s in Surrey hills. It was pretty nice to work with and holds its shape well.
I chose not to line is so that I can wear it in Spring and Summer when it’s freezing in the office but boiling hot outside!
Thanks for looking lovelies!