First, some background. Four years ago, right after I got my sewing machine, but before I started really sewing, I attempted to make this dress, the one shown in blue. I did such a horribly sloppy job cutting it, the skirt was all I could save from the pattern. There were literally inches of fabric that did not line up on the back of the originally cut bodice.
After about two years, I finished it as just a skirt, but it was pretty hideous- there’s no other way to describe it. Fast forward to this weekend. I pulled out the last of my black cotton broadcloth from my stash and I re-cut the bodice, this time going for the view on the right in white. I ripped out all the seams of the skirt and ironed them all. I re-stitched everything with French seams. I made a few changes to the design as I went (you can see them listed here on my blog) and when I was finished this afternoon, I had something not only wearable, but likeable.
The empire waist I ended up with and the cap sleeves along with the almost A-line skirt shape give this a kind of 70′s feel, similar to what you see here and here, though I think the shorter length is reminiscent of children’s dresses.
My fabric choices are far from that era though, and if I did this again, I’d still make the same changes I did to this now, but would choose less loud and busy pattern for my fabrics- probably a solid color. Either way, I have a feeling my altered version of this dress are more my style than the original intended design.
I’ve also just won a lot of 60 women’s patterns off of eBay for about $15. All I know about the lot is most of them are uncut, so maybe I’ll find some treasures in there when they arrive! I may have a pattern buying problem.