The Butterick Morning Coat, version 1.5

I’ve been meaning to fix the terribly half-a–ed facings I made on my first attempt at Butterick 7139 for a while, and when I found it in my mending pile this week I decided that better facings weren’t worth the effort.  Instead, I decided to unpick the facings, dig out my leftover fabric, and test out the sleeves.  I actually rather like the effect!  They join to the body a little awkwardly, and they could use to have more poof at the top.  I have plans for another version of this dress in a heavier fabric (flannel, maybe?) and I think I will add the sleeves next time.

The original.

The update!

• Meet the Author • Frances


A recent college graduate, Frances is pursuing a career in music (preferably opera) while nursing a strong passion for sparkles, sewing, and all things vintage.


Love what you've seen so far? Subscribe by email to receive all the week's posts delivered to your inbox in one big glorious email every Friday.

Inbox overflowing? Follow us on Bloglovin instead!

Find the WeSewRetro crew chatting on Facebook and sharing pretties on Pinterest.

5 comments… add one

  • I think the update looks fabulous! Such a cute dress.

    Reply
  • So cute! I love the print! :)

    Reply
  • Just so cute, and I like the update better. I am not a fan of anything sleeveless so it’s perfect now:)

    Reply
  • Ooh, I was just talking about this dress yesterday – so glad it popped back up on my dash! The sleeve looks great and I can’t wait to see another version of this from you!

    Reply
  • Oh so much cuteness!!! Love love love the colour and your styling. Perfect!!

    Reply

Don’t Be Shy » Leave a Comment!

« LAST POST

NEXT POST »