Yay, I’ve finally finished another of my WIP’s! I started making this dress back in January and finished it a week or so ago. It’s a pattern that David gave me for Christmas 2011 and it’s number 1 on my Sewing List (which I think needs updating now…).
I decided to cut the bodice on the bias so that the stripes angled down diagonally like the cover image. To stop the bodice from stretching out because of my cutting it on the bias, I underlined it with a plain white cotton which gives it some much needed stability. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t have had enough fabric to also cut the skirt on the bias as well, but I quite like the contrast of the different angled stripes on the top and the bottom.
The pattern called for a bow on one of the shoulders of this dress. But since it’s getting cooler here now, and cardigans will soon need to be worn with this dress, and I didn’t want to look like I had a lump on my shoulder, I decided to make my own version of a bow belt instead to finish off the look.
I’ll have a tutorial on how to make your very own version of this bow belt at the end of the week! They are so simple to make and are great for using up those little scraps of fabric that are left over after finishing a project (I made this one from some of the left over fabric from my black circle skirt).
I ignored the facings for the arm holes, as I usually do, and this time around also ignored the neck facing. Instead, I used black bias binding on both for a neater finish on the inside. I took photos as I did this and will have a tutorial coming up for how to do this in the next few weeks (it’s so very very easy by the way!).