Sew for Victory–Simplicity 4036 Chambray Shirtwaist Dress

I made this dress for the Sew for Victory sew along challenge, hosted by Rochelle from Lucky Lucille.

I used a vintage pattern from the 1940s, Simplicity 4036. I had to make a lot of alterations to the pattern (it was two sizes too big and I always have a lot of fit issues anyway), but I’d say it was worth it.

The fabric is a vintage chambray that I picked up at a thrift store a while back for about $2. I made the buttons and the belt, using material I had left over from a previous reconstruction. It has little red cherries with navy and light blue stems and leaves.

If you’re interested, you can read more about it here.

• Meet the Author • Becca

• Great job! This dress looks perfect on you!

• VERY cute dress. I love the cherry print detail on the buttons and belt. Nice touch. This looks like a perfect staple dress.

• Thank you! It will definitely be in heavy rotation this spring.

• SO cute! The button/belt contrast works out really well. I may have to remember that in the future. :)

• Thanks! Hopefully, I’ll get to see a similar button/belt contrast on one of your outfits. :)

• It’s great–the belt and buttons are really adorable!

• Definitely worth all the alterations, it turned out adorable!

• Really cute, and the contrast print buttons and belt are a perfect touch.

• I love it! The buttons and belt are amazing! Good idea! Totally worth all your work, you look great!

• Adorable! The buttons and belt have the perfect pop of color! Your hair is beautiful too :)

• Thank you! The buttons and the belt definitely “make” the dress. Thank you for the compliment about my hair. :) You’re too sweet!

• Thank you so much, everyone! I’m quite proud of the dress. :)

• Wow, this is a beautiful dress, really flattering and the colours are perfect for you. Super sweet. Any suggestions on where I could find this pattern? I’ve been searching far and wide for a pattern like this and this has been my favourite so far but I’ve had no luck.