WeSewRetro.com

Vintage Patterns - Vintage Fabric - Vintage Style
Dresses

Gertie’s shirtwaist dress

April 6, 2013

This is my first make from Gertie’s New Book For Better Sewing, which I bought as soon as it was out but had yet to make anything from. I used a red cotton with a woven check pattern. For anyone considering making this but worried about fabric quantities, I got this out of 2.1m of 60″ wide when the requirements say 3m! The only pieces I missed out were the back yoke lining (I cut a small neck facing instead) and the pockets, which could easily be made from a different fabric anyway. So in all I would think you could easily get it out of 2.5m or less.

 

 

The only alteration I made was to the shoulder width. I took the excess off the back shoulder edge only, then gathered the front in to match it, creating an extra gathered detail at the shoulders.

I used little black buttons with a swirl pattern. I bought a ton of these in two sizes I love them that much! It can be hard to find new buttons with a vintage appropriate look sometimes.

All in all I love this dress, and will definitely make it again. It was quite quick and easy to put together and comfy to wear all day.

Hats off to my not yet three-year-old for taking the photos.

 

  1. Absolutely charming! This is going on my must-sew list. You did a fantastic job with the plaid as well.

  2. Oh wow, this is just lovely. Mine didn’t turn out so well, I’m in the process of procrastinating about taking it apart and starting again. And hats off to your 3 yo a photographer in the making!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.