Mad Men Challenge: Betty Inspired Dress

by Kristin on April 22, 2013 · 6 comments

in 1960s

I ventured out of my comfort zone for my first ever pencil skirt and first time using printed fabric for the Mad Men Challenge. I used McCall’s 6449, and it was nearly perfect.

I was terribly nervous nothing was going to fit, but it fits me exactly. I did make a tiny inch extension in the waist and I nipped the neckline in with 4 darts so it wouldn’t be off the shoulder.

I was incredibly careful lining up the pattern because I was afraid flowers would be laid in places where they shouldn’t be. The boyfriend was a huge help, probably more for his peace of mind than mine.

It’s also my first vent! This was probably the hardest part because the instructions were vaguely written out so I had to consult quite a few blogs and tutorials, but generally I think it turned out well. Apparently vents have a habit of ripping so hopefully that doesn’t happen.

You can check out more photos and the whole, long post here.

This post was written by...

– who has written 10 posts on WeSewRetro.com.

Kristin's posts / Kristin's website

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Brooke April 22, 2013 at 4:00 pm

It looks great on you! Such pretty colors! And you did a wonderful job with the print placement! (That’s always a pet peeve of mine when people don’t think about print placement before cutting.) Yay for sewing something out of your comfort zone and succeeding! =)

Reply

sati5000 April 23, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Thank you! I can’t wait to try to line up stripes! (Or maybe I can – it seems a bit more daunting that just florals!)

Reply

mariebayarea April 23, 2013 at 12:08 am

Absolutely stunning

Reply

sati5000 April 23, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Thank you!

Reply

Sky Turtle April 23, 2013 at 8:54 am

Florals! And they actually look cool. You make me want to sew flowery pencil dresses :)

Reply

sati5000 April 23, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Ha, thanks! Yes, more flowery pencil dresses! ;-)

Reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: