I am sewing this 1910′s blouse at the moment as a mock-up for the real deal. I just can’t figure out the instructions for the cuffs..if you click on the pictures you should be able to zoom in and read it. Could anybody help me out? I have never come across cuffs like this before!

thanks so much!

allison

www.littlethistles.blogspot.com

alleycat's posts / alleycat's website

Brooke April 22, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I can’t click the photo to enlarge, so I can’t really read the type. But it appears to be a double cuff – piece B attaches to the sleeve and piece A attaches to the bottom of piece B. Line up the notches on the two cuff pieces. It’s a little fold over flare once it’s all together. Think of it as a little collar at the wrist. (Hope that helps and makes some sense.)

Very cool feature and a wonderful vintage pattern! Thanks for sharing the photos – hope to see the finished garment! =)

Allison April 22, 2013 at 11:31 pm

hey Brooke :-)

Thanks for your help, I think I am slowly getting the idea of how it goes together, it all seemed so clear at the start!

Cheers,
Allison

Stephanie April 23, 2013 at 7:39 am

I agree with Brooke. B connects to G and A connects to B. Patterns from this era expect you to know a lot about construction so they are pretty sketchy sometimes. I usually have to puzzle over them for a bit.

LittleBlackCar April 23, 2013 at 7:48 am

Yeah, I can’t enlarge them, either, but I can’t think how else one would assemble them.

You can always cut cuffs out of scrap fabric and do a test run of them to see what happens, right?

We can’t wait to see the finished project!

Sky Turtle April 23, 2013 at 8:48 am

Not sure about the cuffs but the pattern looks interesting. Can’t wait to see the blouse you make :)

Gail April 23, 2013 at 10:45 am

Where cuff B meets sleeve G there are is a notch where they should be aligned to each other . You can see to very small g’s next to these notches. Looks to me like G ( the sleeve) has a slash to create the opening in the sleeve for the arm to fit through. That would be faced and turned inside to finish off the slash. Yep, it looks like cuff B attaches to flare cuff A after the slash is made.
Beautiful blouse!

Anne April 23, 2013 at 11:42 am

I agree with the above comments–the cuffs look akin to Folkwear 210, Armistice Blouse. It seems like a lot of work at first, but the results are wonderful!

Armistice Blouse pattern on this page:

Can’t wait to see the finished blouse!

Julie April 26, 2013 at 3:45 am

archive.org has scads of free vintage sewing books for perusal, including this one: Clothing for Women, by Laura Baldt, 1916, which has very detailed instructions for pattern drafting and construction. Not sure if it has the specific cuff info. This site also has some fun old sewing videos, as well as lots of other interesting stuff beyond sewing.

antiquepatternlibrary.org also has a fine selection, including a few of the Isabel Conover books from 1921, including one for the construction of blouses, including cuffs (did not look to see if it had your cuff, though). Also on this site are overwhelming antique embroidery and beadwork and lacework, etc., patterns. even a book on how to make wax flowers ! it is almost too much…

I have found that a lot of the expensive rare books for sale on ebay and elsewhere can be found on archive.org for free. in fact, on ebay there are CDs for sale with old sewing, hatmaking, etc., books on them, and often most of these books can be found for free here.

Julie April 26, 2013 at 4:02 am

P.S. Check this book out at archive.org:
Parisian Ladies’ Tailoring System. There are instructions, but they seem to confuse ! Still, there are interesting, seemingly simple (!) patterns to draft along the lines of your waist pattern and may offer some construction info. It is late, and I must stay away from archive.org at this hour or I shall never sleep…

Nokomarie May 9, 2013 at 7:31 am

This is late but and I hope it worked out for you. Looking at the pattern the hints are in the piece names. So, sew sleeve G, slash next to notch g, turn and face slash. Sew flare cuff A leaving notched edge open as if for a collar. Sew sides of deep cuff B leaving both notched ends open. Match notches of B to sleeve G, aligning slash and sew as for normal cuff but leaving the triple notched end open. Match cuff A to end of cuff B sew, right sides together, leaving the inner face of A open. Press under open inner edge of A and finish slip stitching inner edge of A to inside of B at the seam. Turn and press. If you were still stuck, I hope that helped.