Sew for Victory: Turquoise shirt dress

This is my Sew for Victory contribution. A turquoise shirt dress made from 100% cotton. I got the inspiration from the 1943 Bella Hess catalogue.

My design idea was a turquoise shirt dress with shoulder and waist darts to shape the bodce, A-line skirt with pocket detail and a self fabric belt.

I already had a vintage shirt dress pattern that I liked the fit of and decided to frankenstein the bodice of that pattern. The original pattern had one waist and one bust dart to shape the bodice front. I traced, slashed and re-arranged the pattern piece.

There are more pictures and details on the construction of the dress here.

The finished dress turned out a little different from the original idea. I left the chest pocket because I didn’t like the look of it when I pinned it onto the dress. And I had to change the patch pockets on the skirt. I made the silly mistake of cutting the front skirt panel too small and didn’t want to waste the fabric and/or buy more. I solved the problem by switching on my make-do-and-mend thinking and working the pockets into the skirt which gave the front panel enough extra width to fit the skirt. I’m quite proud of myself that I didn’t just go for the easy option and bought more material.

And this is how it turned out in the end.

For more pictures, check out my blog please.

• Meet the Author • Bea

Twitter: @Beatrice_Winter Instagram: @beatricewinter Hi everyone, I am a German girl living in the UK. I am in love with all things vintage. My favourite decades are the 1920s-1960s. I am a freelance seamstress, property investor, army wife and crazy cat lady. Please visit my blog or add me on Twitter. I am interested in all your projects and inspirations and also would love to hear what you think about mine. XX

2 comments… add one

Don’t Be Shy » Leave a Comment!