I decided to join in on the “Sew For Victory” Sewalong at Lucky Lucille. I’m a little late to the game, but figured that not only would I do my best to finish the dress in time, but that I would make not one but two Forties dresses! I may turn out to have bitten off more than I can chew, but we’ll see!
This will be the first dress I make:
I’ll be making the short-sleeved dress on the left and will be omitting the jacket for now, although I have enough fabric to make both…we’ll see.
As the pattern envelope was water damaged and the size had worn away, I made a muslin of the pattern to see how much adjusting I would have to do. I went into detail on this on a rather long-winded post on my blog, but I’ll save you from all my nattering here – in short, it turned out to be about one size too small and aside from that it only required my usual Short Back and Full Arm adjustments. I was able to omit the Full Bust Adjustment due to the gathers on the bodice.
I find this pattern really interesting because the gathers at the bust and on the sleeve are just sliced out of the fabric, gathered and sewn back in, rather than pieced separately and added. I think this would be an interesting way to add pleat detailing to a dress as well…I may have to experiment at some point!
I’ll post again when I’ve got everything cut out and pieced together. I think I’ll be quite pleased with this dress!
This will be the second dress I make…if I don’t run out of time. I’ll be making the dress on the right, in the vintage Seersucker you see below it. Fingers crossed!