I am so excited to finally be able to share my Sew For Victory outfit with you all. I finished this outfit at the start of last week but every time Corey was home to take pictures for me the rain would come back. But finally here we are.
When this sew-a-long first popped up I jumped straight on the bandwagon. I am trying participate in a bit more around the blogosphere this year and I thought this was the perfect place to start. I already had a 1940’s reproduction pattern (simplicity 3688) in my stash that I knew I could use and after seeing Tasha’s pinafore skirt I knew exactly what I wanted to make. I did a little google search for some inspiration and came across this pinafore skirt by NudeeDudee which I used as my starting point. Instead of a pastel I decided to go with a forest green cavalier garbadine that I picked up from Spotlight. The straps are not actually functional. The buttons are just sewn on top for decoration.
Originally I was just going to take photos of this skirt with a blouse I have in my wardrobe. However, it isn’t 1940’s at all and I thought to myself if I was going to join in a sew-a-long I needed to do it properly. So I went on a search for a blouse pattern to make and came across this wrap blouse by Mrs Depew’s Vintage. I didn’t want to buy anymore fabric so grabbed this cream & yellow spotted seersucker from my stash. The only alteration I made to this pattern was to make a pleat in the sleeves instead of gathering them.
And this is how the blouse looks without the skirt. It is a wrap blouse so for the skirt I just pinned the wrap pieces across to the sides. I really like this blouse, however, if I was to make it again I think I would need to try and lower the v seam in the front so it actually sits below my bust. I am so glad I decided to take part in this sew-a-long. It was so much fun! I have another sew-a-long planned for this year and hopefully I will get to take part in many more. A massive thank you to Rochelle for organising this sew-a-long. I have had a lot of fun!