I just finished a dress for the Sew for Victory Challenge hosted by Lucky Lucille. I picked the Du Barry 5366 from 1942. I really wanted a simple shirtwaist dress made from cotton that would be not only functional for summer, but still dressy.
I used a quilting cotton (gasp!) for the dress, finishing all the seams with a turned and stitched seam. It also has an invisible zipper on the side (not authentic vintage, but I do adore my invisible zippers!). The front is stitched shut, so it’s not the typical button-down shirtwaist. I also made a red belt using a vintage buckle and button card I found here. Though I didn’t use the matching buttons on this dress, they will be used on a future 1940s dress.
Throw on my red shoes from ModCloth, and I’m ready for a night on the town (okay, maybe just a night at home!) :) I also got to learn a new technique with this dress: piecing! Turns out, the skirt back is too wide to fit on the fabric, so you have to cut off a bit of the corner, then sew that piece back onto the main skirt. And the only indication of doing this comes from that pesky little cutting diagram! This fabric is so patterned that you can’t even tell where I had to do that! I’ve already worn it out once and have gotten compliments on it. Now onto making another dress for Sew for Victory!