1960′s Navy Blue Suit

I fell in love with 1960′s suits with short jackets that have 3/4 length doleman sleeves and tapered skirts. When I saw Simplicity #2154 I had to have it. How cute is the blouse with the bow tie.

My 1960's Navy Blue Suit

The pattern

I used a true navy (almost black) for the jacket and skirt. For the blouse I had a fabric with a tiny blue, tan and cream plaid.

Fabric selection and "braid trim"

I made the “braid” trim myself. To get custom colors I crocheted five strands of embroidery floss together.

I really liked how the loop detail was formed with the trim on the sleeve.

Love the loop

I wear blouses with bows and this one has great overall shape as well.

Bow on blouse

Blouse with the tapered skirt

Both the blouse and the skirt zip on the side.

Putting it all together

• Meet the Author • Denise

I have been sewing most of my life. I enjoy finding my own style by using ideas from things I see and like, even, at times, the past.

• Great outfit. I love everything about it. The colours and pattern are great together. Very nice! I’m sure it’ll get loads of wear.

• that’s a gorgeous suit! The blouse is really cute.

• Gorgeous outfit, looks absolutely fantastic! I have this pattern and seriously need to use it soon!

• I love this outfit. You’ve done a beautiful job and it really suits you.

• I bought this pattern a while back and am really glad to see it looks as good as the envelope! Love your fabric choices!

• Your version looks even better than the picture on the pattern! Well done.

• Yes! Your outfit does look better than the pictures on the Pattern envelope. Great trim idea.

• Love it! Well done on such a good job. Particularly the braid trim – very ingenious.

• Holy Crap, Girl…you look awesome! Well done.

• Wow, this is amazing. You look like you just came off the set of Mad Men. Your braid trim is ingenious. Tres chic.

• Such an adorable outfit.
    I’m lusting after that blouse. I cannot pass by a pussy bow without swooning, since I did 42nd St last year.
    Well done!

• Lovely! I especially like the handmade braid detail. The blouse is wonderful too. A perfect outfit for work or a semi-formal event. Thanks for sharing!

• Superbe, I like the blouse most of all !

• You did a marvelous job and look beautiful in the outfit! This is how my mother dressed when I was a little girl – makes me all “verklempt” LOL.
    She often made her own skirt suits…adding gloves, high heels, and hat.
    Your handmade braid is genius – thank you so much for sharing.

• This suit is just lovely!!! Try finding an outfit this perfect off the rack!!! Great job on the details, and I love the blouse. Thanks for sharing it with us.

• Wonderful! What a great look on you and beautifully made too.

• Beautifully done. Your details are wonderful, and it is clear you paid particular attention to properly pressing your work. Well done!

• Oh wow! What a gorgeous suit! I love every detail of it. Perfect! I’m thinking about buying the pattern too. Can you tell us something about how correct the sizing is? Thanks!

• Thank You Aukje.
      The sizing seamed the same as other Simplicity patterns to me. I made the size 14 skirt ,the only alteration I did to the size was to add one inch of overall length, I did nothing to the width. The chart says 28 in waist but my waist is several inches larger, the hip measure on chart is much closer to the truth. As for the blouse and jacket the bust measurement seams fairly accurate.
      I hope this is helpful.

• So beautiful! Wonderful job all around. So many of us remember our moms or grandmothers dressing like this all the time!!! What happened to dressing up with class??

• I would like to thank everyone for your lovely comments. I am a bit overwhelmed by your positive response. I actually made this suit a while back. You have encouraged me so much I am going to iron my suit tonight and wear it tomorrow. Thank you all again.

• Super cute blouse! Love it. I’m always on the lookout for blouse patterns and I’ll have to keep this one in mind. :)