Yee-Haw 1970’s Western Style Shirt

I have eleven yards of this material. I keep threatening to make my husband and my four kids all pantsuits from it for our Christmas picture. How awesome would that be?

The shirt is from Simplicity 7146.  Funky, huh?

It is a misses size 14 and fits me, but looks much better on my daughter.  It was really easy to put together.  I did cut the collar down by a LOT.  And I think when I make it again I will go a little longer.  The only issue was that the sleeves needed to be set in and sometimes I lose my patience with that, but I took my time and NO PUCKERS-like a boss. (Brushes off shoulders).

So my question is…would you wear this in public?  I mean if you didn’t own a horse…I think it’s just retro enough to be able to pull off. My husband said his mother made him wear something similar in 1976 and he does not like it.  (Not that that matters to me-sorry dear). What say you?

More on my blog

Happy sewing,

Lisa

• Meet the Author • Lisasews

I live in a small farmhouse in Maine with a bunch of goats, chickens and kids. I love to sew and scour auctions for vintage sewing supplies.

• Ohhhmygosh YES I would totally wear that in public!!!! And not only do I not own a horse, I live IN THE CITY!!!! I agree, its not for everyone, but its absolutely amazing. Great job!

• Oh Yes! and a shirtwaist dress too! With a big ol’ buckled belt.

• With a crazy print, I always think ‘pants’ first because a top says “I see nothing wrong with this print” whereas pants say “I HAVE HORSE PANTS. THAT’S RIGHT. HORSE PANTS.”

I may be insane though.

Where does one acquire 11 yards of horse fabric? I must go to this magical place.

• OMG, I literally snorted. “I HAVE HORSE PANTS.” is now my motto!

• Not sure I could pull off wearing it…. but my 18 yr old daughter could and definitely would! It looks great layered like that.

• I think it’s awe. SOME.

• This fabric jogged a memory for me – Back in the 1960’s (at least here in Louisville, KY), it was the style to cut the motifs out of fabric like this and apply it to the backs of cardigan sweaters as a padded applique. Smaller motifs were sometimes added to the fronts as well. Unfortunately, I don’t have any pictures illustrating this concept, but I can assure you, all the cool girls were wearing them with their penny loafers!

• Stunning – definitely a statement piece!

• This is fabulously cool. I would also go the shirtwaist way and wear it in a flash. I’m a big city girl (London) but this reminds me of the horsey books of my childhood, I love it! I’d probably also go for a pair of plain straight-legged trousers (i think flared 70s style would be one statement too many for me). But with all that fabric, the choice is endless!

• You are totally rocking this look! I love how you’ve style this with the denim shirt underneath. Yee haw!

• Cool!! that shirt is very cool! you really look so 70’s!

• You should absolutely wear this. Four kids? You go girl!!!!!

• A delightful shirt that fits perfectly: wear it. Shirts like this were popular when I was young (the ’50’s), brought back in the ’70’s, and are now part of what’s being called ” mid-century revival.” Layering it with denim makes it contemporary.

• Hell’s yeah! The way you styled it with the demin shirt underneath, black jeans and boots that aren’t obviously western looking is perfect. Worn with cowboy boots would start to look costumey. I am now more inspired for a piece of fabric I thrifted. It has this English fox hunting scene with the riders in their red coats and the hounds baying through the woods. I had been thinking of making a circle skirt, but seeing your shirt has made me go ‘hmmm.’