Old Throw – New Skirt!

by ooobop on February 17, 2013 · 8 comments

in 1950s,Skirts,Vintage Sewing

self drafted pencil skirt

self-drafted pencil skirt from thrifted throw

This is the 3rd self-drafted pencil skirt I’ve made and I’m sure it wont be the last. I love how each one has taught me something new. This one is indeed made from a thrifted wool throw/blanket. I wasn’t sure if it was going to work out until the end but this darned cold weather spurred me on. The idea of having a blanky wrapped round my legs an’ all! I made sure to interface the hem and vent so that it had a bit of weight to keep the shape and that really worked.

coffee in the pub

It did come up a little too big though. I did stay stitch the waistline but clearly the weave in the wool has much more give than I’d bargained for. Only noticeable when I wear a cinched in belt, the waist at the back drops down, but no biggie. It’s a keeper this skirt, so come the warmer months, when it’s no longer my go-to, I will remove the waistband and take it in a bit. Boy, that’s how I know I’ve come so far! I would never have even thought that before!

check wool skirt
I have documented how I attached the lining to the vent over at ooobop! for anyone who is interested. Only the 2nd time I’ve attempted this but there’s no going back now!

The wonderful photos are taken by the lovely Mr Ooobop! Such a luxury to have a hubby who’s so keen to practice photography skills.

ooobop's posts / ooobop's website

Matthew S. February 17, 2013 at 6:04 am

This looks amazing. I love finding cheap, unique fabrics to reuse for something new…well I should say I like the IDEA of it as I have only used this method once with a patchwork pillow out of old sweaters. The colors work great and it’s a perfect piece for these winter months.

I’ll have to think about ways to alter pieces from season to season, there may not be as many options in menswear, but I’m sure I’ll think of a few!

P.S The entire ensemble, especially in the first pic, is to DIE for!

ooobop February 17, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Thank you so much Matthew. I agree there are never so many options for menswear. But I’m sure there’s some fun to be had with waistcoats! I’m just about to embark on my first one in standard materials. Thereafter I’d like to try the unconventional!

Relynn February 18, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Oh my gosh! I can’t say how much I love this! Great job on that skirt!

I recently made my first self drafted pencil skirt and it’s great everywhere but the waist, with the same problems you have here. I thought the same thing… just take it apart and nip it in a bit. Haven’t gotten around to it yet, though. A belt hides it on mine.

I love how you have styled it. That scarf is divine!

ooobop! February 19, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Thank you for your kind words. I’m almost certain its the give in the fabric because the one I made before this (a tighter weave suit wool) came up perfect. And I used exactly the same pattern. They are quick to make up but I’m not so quick to take one apart!

Miss Crayola Creepy February 18, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I LOVE how you styled this!

ooobop! February 19, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Why thank you Miss Crayola Creepy!

Katherine February 18, 2013 at 6:25 pm

At the risk of repeating myself, I absolutely love your photoshoots. They’re always so much fun.

Never take off that scarf – you were born to it!

ooobop! February 19, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Bless you. So sweet. The scarf is great isn’t it. Fabulous for those bad-hair days!