Since lesson plan reviewing, cushion re-covering and dish washing are all really boring activities, I decided I wanted to make something fun and pretty for myself. I’ve got so many pieces of fabric sitting in my stash for projects that have been put on further hold because I won’t be back into my normal clothes for a few months yet, and we still have lots to do to get the house ready for the baby, I really felt the need last night to do something frivolous and a little luxurious for myself as far as sewing goes (maternity clothes are practical, but not particularly luxe feeling). I had just over two yards of this gorgeous silk that I got from a friend about a year ago, and hadn’t quite decided what to do with it. I’m not sure why, but suddenly last night I had a brain wave. It would be PERFECT for a lounge jacket. Mr. S. has a comfy silk smoking jacket that he’s had for ages and it’s simply not fair for me to not have one as well 😉
I was in the process of re-filing a bunch of my patterns that had been removed from their respective drawers for one reason or another, and remembered I had this pattern from Eva Dress. It’s a 1933 Lounging Ensemble, and it’s the same pattern I had adapted before to make my 1930s pants that I love so much. I hadn’t ever had the chance to use the blouse, apron or jacket components though, and I do love them all, so I decided to do a test run with this silk.
Pardon the bad lighting. Taking pictures in my house after early afternoon is always a bit of a challenge because of the way the light comes in.
The pattern is a size 12, and I graded it up (slash and spread) to a 16 (1930s equivalents). Sometimes I can get away without grading patterns up, but I wanted this to fit loosely like it is supposed to, and fitting on myself is a little challenging right now since I’m 20 pounds heavier than usual and a totally different shape.
The armscyes are just a bit snug (totally wearable just not as relaxed as I would have liked), but that may also work itself out once the baby is born and I’m back to my normal size.
I followed the pattern pretty directly, only altering the pocket edge by making a reverse facing in order to match the wrong side of the fabric that I used for the cuff turn-backs.
I finished the whole garment with french seams or facings, and this fabric really was wonderful to work with. It hangs beautifully and feels like buttah! I love the color, too. It was tough figuring out what to make with it when I acquired it due to the limited yardage and the slightly more abstract pattern (a bit of a departure from my usual solids and simple geometrics or florals). It’s very well suited, however, to this sort of jacket I think. The painterly quality of the pattern and the slightly artistic feeling, smock like qualities of the garment design seem to work in perfect harmony.
This was a pretty quick, simple project to give myself a break from all the housework, baby related projects, and work related tedium. I’m really excited to have something new and glamorous feeling to sit around the house in after the baby is here.