Gertie’s bow-tied blouse

by Semtele on January 22, 2013 · 10 comments

in Vintage Sewing

So, here is one of my..uhm..fiasco..

I thought it will turn out well, but it did not. At first, I don’t know but the neck line is really small, it is to tight. Second is the back closing :D As you can see, I can’t sew buttons properly and that is probably why it is so crooked and not matching :D

I will try to cut the neckline again and bigger and repair the buttons. Maybe it will be good but I think white color is not my cup of tea…:/

Check out my blog if you are interested http://semtele.blogspot.cz/

I love all things vintage, specially 60s and 50s era. I usually make my own patterns, but when I'm using some original pattern it is from Burda. I have been sewing for 2 years now. I'm fro Prague in Czech Republic

Semtele's posts / Semtele's website

Ju-Ju Swagger January 22, 2013 at 10:07 am

Hi there! :) Thank you for sharing your blouse. I have a problem with button holes too. Not sure why. ;( It’d be really great to see this blouse after the improvements to see how you fixed it. I hopped over to your blog and it is FAB! I LOVE your foxy scarf! I only speak english so I’ll have to plug your writing into a translator so I don’t miss out. Do you include what pattern your foxy scarf is? I sure want to make that! I also LOVE your Little Apple Dress! You have talent girl! It is unfortunate this blouse didn’t work out, but it sure has a nice shape on you and I hope you give it another try. Take care

Semtele January 22, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Thank you so much! Last two posts on my blog are in english so you don’t need to put it in a translator anymore! :) Foxy scarf is from Prudent Baby http://prudentbaby.com/2012/12/baby-kid/diy-fox-scarf-with-free-pattern/ And thank you for reading my blog. I hope I will force myself to repair that blouse soon! Have a good day!

LittleBlackCar January 22, 2013 at 10:16 am

If it’s not your thing, that’s fine, but it looks A-OK on you. I don’t think it should be much trouble to fix the neck and the buttons. Maybe you’ll like it better once it fits better?

Ange January 22, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I don’t think it looks too bad either, I would consider moving the top button (if you have enough fabric) to give you more neck room.

Otherwise, it’s a pretty good attempt, we win some we lose some, and you’re learning as you go.

Thanks for sharing :)

Lianne January 22, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I made this blouse over Christmas and wore it for the first time today (hope to share on here soon). You’re definitely not the first person to say the neckline was too tight and I too had this problem. It’s a shame too because it’s quite a versatile piece.

A.J.A. January 22, 2013 at 11:09 pm

I had the same problem with the neck. It was way too small.

Semtele January 23, 2013 at 4:03 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one with this neckline problem :) Thank you for you comments!

Tina January 28, 2013 at 9:31 am

The pattern is precious, I hope you’ll try again! Can you change where the buttons are sewn? The back looked salvageable to me, but if the neck chokes you???

Relynn January 28, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I often have the same problem with buttons/button holes. I try to avoid buttons as much as possible because of that. :-) For the color, I have a very fair/pale complexion like yours seems in the photo. I do not ever wear white blouses. They wash me out and make me look sick or half dead. Instead I wear cream colored blouses when I want a white-like shirt in my outfit. Much better for my fair, but warm toned, skin. May be something you want to try as well.

Essi P March 1, 2013 at 4:13 am

I like the finished result, it looks very nice.

I just finished making the blouse last week (in almost the same fabric!) and I had the same problem with the neckline, it’s way too small. I haven’t got around taking it apart yet, but I think that will be my next project.