Dress from Elsa December 1950

Hello everyone,

this is my first post here and I’m a little nervous (mainly because of my bad english), but we get right to the point: I’m a German girl in her mid-twenties and trying to sew vintage sewing patterns. This I also collect old magazines from the 30s to late 50s.  In December there was a German Sew-Along for Christmas dresses and I chose a dress of the handmade book Elsa and this is the result:

null
null

“Elsa Handarbeit und Wäsche” December issue of 1950

nullThat was the original. I have changed something on the sleeves and decorative stitching attached.

null

It was my first dress and i’m very proud of it! And here you could see the whole story.

• Meet the Author • SwinginCat

• Well done! It looks fantastic! and your english is just fine.

• It’s beautiful! And your English is a thousand times better than my German. =)

The animated photo is really fun!

• This is absolutely lovely. It flatters you so well, and its simple design really resonates. Great job! (Your English is fine! Better than we Americans even lol)

• Very neat dress. Your English is good. Hope you continue to post your projects here!

• Welcome! So happy you joined :)

We’re primarily an English speaking site so all posts need to be in English, but you can write your posts in both English and German if you like. We have readers all over the world (and many that are multilingual) so I know our German-speaking audience would appreciate the option to read in their mother tongue :)

When I find a great blog written in a language I don’t understand, I use Google Translate to help me figure it out. It’s not perfect, but it can help! http://translate.google.com/

• Yes, I use google translate and I hope that i find out the mistakes, that creep in there ;) I think I’ll take the opportunity to write two linguistically next time – thank you!

• Your dress is lovely! How do you do you great victory rolls? :)

• I turn only a lock of hair around two fingers and stuck them. Done. It is easier with a little pomade and otherwise only training :)

• What I love about this (beside the adorable animated GIF and the sweet look on your face) is that your dress really looks vintage. The fabric weight and color are perfect for the time, and your alterations made it better for you without making it mindlessly modern. My hat is off to you – incredible for a first dress!

• Thank you, I get very embarrassed. :)

I know exactly what you mean by the mindlessly modern and as much as I like some new and striking looks really authentic it is in everyday life even more with solid colors, slightly stiff fabrics and without too much detail.

• You look great! Very nice!

« LAST POST