i actually would like to make a little tie for the blouse out of some leftover lantana.
i feel like in the 1930s and 1940s simplicity really and truly lived up to its name. the fashions are very much of the day and relatively easy to construct, provided you don’t actually need the pattern instructions, which are a bit skimpy. the blouse went together in a mere two hours, and languished only because i wasn’t willing to sacrifice the time for a trip to jonathan embroidery for the buttonholes. (#firstworldsewingproblems, right there) unfortunately, the white cotton voile, although completely dreamy, does not photograph well, so you will have to take my word for it that the seams are as awesome as the pattern illustration suggests. i nipped up the back using a trick kenneth king taught me to create a built-in swayback adjustment, and i got a nearly perfect fit.
a few construction details, to justify the post: i did finish the blouse entirely in french seams, including on the armscyes. i topstitched the front panels to give them a bit of extra detail, and created a sort of shirt placket facing by using a piece of silk organza selvedge similar to the way suggested by the “clean facing” technique on off the cuff. i used heart-shaped buttons on everything, just because, and finished the skirt in a just-barely-long enough piece of trip leftover from my “parisienne” dress.
full post at puu’s door of time.