Butterick 6815, circa mid-1950s day dress

by Bex on January 5, 2013 · 7 comments

in 1950s,Dresses,Vintage Sewing

It’s only 7 days into the New Year, and i’m already two finished dresses in! Hopefully this bodes well for the rest of the year!

Firstly, the pattern Butterick 6815 (I made the version on the far left) - Afairly fitted dress, with split kimono sleeves, turn back collar and gored skirt with box-pleat at the front.

From the Vintage Pattern Wiki

And here is my version, made from oxblood-red quilter’s homespun.

I’m really, really happy with how it came out – especially up-sizing from a 34 inch bust to a 39 inch! No major modifications to speak of, but more details on my blog.

This dress is so light, wearable and easy to sew – I’d really recommend giving it a go if you have it in your stash.

A vintage obsessed, rockabilly queer-Femme living in Sydney Australia. I hoard vintage knitting and sewing patterns, and shoes. So many shoes.

Bex's posts / Bex's website

Andrea January 5, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Gorgeous! 1950s Butterick patterns are some of my favorite vintage patterns, and I love your version! The rich red is fab. I love your hair too. :)

Jeanne January 6, 2013 at 5:58 am

Good going on 2 dresses already for 2013!

This looks great on you- and wearable and comfortable as well. Inspiring me towards a cotton shirtwaist or two.

Lianne January 6, 2013 at 7:37 am

I saw this recently on eBay but forgot to bid. Looks amazing and well done on the adjustments! I’ve stopped buying patterns that arnt in my size because I’m too lazy ( and not skilled enough!) to adjust.

Bex January 6, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Hahaha yeah, I tend to only buy a 38-40 inch bust size so I dont have to upsize – but this one really was so easy!

I’m eyeing off the other ones in my collection now…

Joni January 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Oh law, I must have this pattern. Maybe we will get lucky and Butterick will add it to their Retro line, and then we can all have a copy!

Miss Ava Kitten January 7, 2013 at 8:47 am

This looks absolutely stunning – I’m not in the least bit jealous!

Laurie January 7, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Great dress… and 2 dresses completed already this year! I have yet to complete a single thing! I better get busy!