“You’re making a what?” my sewing group giggled.

“It’s a 1950s wiggle dress.” I repeated.

“Because back then they made them so tight certain things wiggled when you walked.” I said with a suggestive shake.

Sorry for the lack of wiggling. I’m still learning how to take better pictures of my wearable projects. This pattern was a true gem. To read all the sewing nitty gritty pop on over to my blog.┬áThe real question is… does it need a belt?

Front view

Back view

I love sewing and have recently stumbled into the wonderful world of vintage patterns! I'm so excited to be able to "visit" with others on WeSewRetro. For my other adventures and modern sewing projects you can find me at TumbleweedsInTheWind.blogspot.com

EmSewCrazy's posts / EmSewCrazy's website

Tegan January 10, 2013 at 8:06 pm

It needs a little something, that’s for sure! How are you planning on jazzing it up? Perhaps some sparkle along the neckline? A fantabulous belt? A killer necklace and heels? Think about how you’re planning on wearing and using this outfit, and perhaps don’t have a specific belt, but just plan on belting with whatever catches your eye that day!

EmSewCrazy January 11, 2013 at 12:32 am

I have some great vintage blue necklaces that I plan on wearing with it. I’m thinking a blue or gold belt something skinny to wear with it.

Brooke January 10, 2013 at 9:41 pm

A belt would be a great thing to complete it, even if it’s made from the same fabric. I love the bright color of the fabric you used!

EmSewCrazy January 11, 2013 at 12:32 am

Thanks! It is a vibrant color! I’m thinking it needs a little something at the waistline!

Adele January 11, 2013 at 12:38 am

I love a brightly coloured dress!

A belt might increase the wiggle factor.

Without the belt, to me it has a looser-fitting 60s look. If you’re up for it, it might go well with a bright (or positively lurid) top to complement the pink. The right shade of green might work (or vibrate in an eye-aching way!)

A crazy question for the experienced vintage dress and belt wearer -
when you wear a dress where the bodice is sewn to the skirt, where do you place the belt? Above the seam? Below the seam? Directly on the seam?

Brooke January 11, 2013 at 10:36 am

I think it depends on the style of the dress. When it is a full gathered skirt, the belt usually lives best just above the gathering (sitting right on top). If the top is bloused, I usually put a belt directly over the seam to hold the blousing up.

When in doubt, play with what works and looks best for your body type – don’t fight how your clothes want to be naturally. If the belt and dress aren’t shifting around & driving you crazy, and they look good to you in the mirror, the belt’s probably in a good spot. (At least, that’s how I approach actors’ clothing on a film set.) And as long as you aren’t self-conscious, no one will scrutinize the details. =)

Adele January 13, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Thanks Brooke, that solves a niggling question I ‘ve had for a while.

EmSewCrazy January 11, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I am knitting a turquoise sweater and I have a bright green cardigan. I am going to have to play with this!

Brooke gave a pretty comprehensive answer to the belt question.