9 months in the making, people. NINE MONTHS.
so, let me run you through the construction details on this new year’s baby. it started off fairly well in march of 2012. i was innocently preparing to use this as my submission for the “mad men” sew weekly challenge. i had cut it out and substituted the skirt and redrew my bodice from vogue 8409 and i was all set. i used the cut-up bodice of my biggest disappointment ever to make bias tape and a neck facing, and decided to use some of that tape to make piping on the waistband. i also decided, because it was the right way to construct it, to bone the waistband, so i used sew-in interfacing and some muslin to create a boning layer. that is where i stopped in march of 2012, after the third time i tried to re-baste all of the layers of that waistband in place.
to finish up this bad boy, i slip-stitched the inside waistband in place, tacked down the neck facing with a catchstitich, and beaded the side zipper because that is one of my favorite details. i also used the last of the bias tape to hem the sleeves for an extra pop of color.
as you can see, the fit is solid but not perfect, but i can live with that because it neither gapes at the neckline nor the bustline and sits pretty nicely at my natural waist. maybe i could have pulled in a slice in the back to accommodate how narrow my back is, but c’est la vie.
full blog post at puu’s door of time.
original inspiration post at puu’s door of time.