Wiggle Dress Dilemma

by Ju-Ju Swagger on December 3, 2012 · 7 comments

in Vintage Sewing

I just love this pattern!!! Love, love, l-o-v-e! But unfortunately… it’s nowhere to be found, and if I did find it I’m afraid it would be too expensive. :( Do any of you fine seamstresses know of a similar pattern that I might be able to fiddle with to create a dress like this?

I'm new to both wearing and making vintage clothes. Hoping to soak up some seamstress savvy here.

Ju-Ju Swagger's posts / Ju-Ju Swagger's website

Brooke December 3, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I love it too! It reminds me most of this pattern that I have. It’s a vintage Butterick pattern from 1957 in my collection.

Here’s the link to the whole post and some of my other vintage patterns if you are curious. (The last one in the post also has a similar line at the neck to your pattern.)

Ju-Ju Swagger December 4, 2012 at 9:51 am

That pattern is similar. :) Thank you! I’ll hunt around and see if maybe I can find that one.

Laurie H December 3, 2012 at 11:32 pm

WOW… I LOVE that wiggle dress too- and Brookes pattern does have a similar cut… So stylish! I hope you can track it down and make one…

Jessamyn December 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm
lsaspacey December 13, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Wow, that second link is perfect for an adaptation! The additions like the pocket flaps can be attached right next to the belly darts. They obviously weren’t functional pockets on the original. Then split the sleeves from the bodice, add seam allowance to where the pieces will meet, cut them from contrasting fabrics, and sew them back together will give you the sleeves from the original. I hope she snatches up that pattern immediately. It’s perfect!

Janaya December 7, 2012 at 11:35 am

I would check out Gerties Book for Better Sewing. She does a really great job teaching you how to draft your own universal bodice pattern and then teaches you how to change it according to the style you are looking for. The same goes for skirt style. With that she helps you create many different dresses and outfit pieces. I absolutely adore it! A ton of versatility, which in my opinion (as a novice anyway) is better than just paying for one pattern. Here’s the link, good luck!

Sandra December 7, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I own this pattern and hundreds of others just like it; we collect and sew them for me. Most of our collection was purchased on eBay.
Set up a search on eBay, eventually someone will have one to sell; the bidding can get crazy that is what makes it so expensive.