Simplicity 5954, 1965

by Calyx on December 18, 2012 · 3 comments

in 1960s,Dresses,Vintage Sewing


Phew, finally have some time to post about this dress! I’s my first post, so far I’ve just been admiring everyone else’s efforts.

I made this few weeks ago now and have been wearing it a lot. I really love it! I made it from an old bed sheet – had to cut around some holes and snags in the fabric.

It’s a pretty simple pattern, with just six main pieces to put together, plus some interfacing. I had a long delay making it as I realised the fabric is quite light and was concerned it may be see-through. I was fretting about having to make a lining, something I’ve never done, and put the whole thing aside for several weeks while I thought about it. A chat with a more experienced dress maker put things in perspective and I decided to keep going with it sans lining. I’m glad I did as it turned out not to be see-through at all. Yes!

I did have some trouble with the fit, and had to take it in at the sides, but I think the pattern is a size too big for me. It is still a bit big overall – a looser fit than I imagined – but I don’t mind too much. It will be lovely and cool for the summer.

This post was written by...

– who has written 1 posts on WeSewRetro.com.

Calyx's posts / Calyx's website

{ 3 comments… read them below or add one }

twotoast December 18, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Very pretty – it looks lovely and fresh!

Reply

Lisette December 18, 2012 at 8:29 pm

This fabric looks remarkably like that I used to make a dress – and it used to be an old bedsheet too: http://circle.sewweekly.com/photo/simplicity-2209 I tried to zoom in on yours to see if it really was the same, but it wouldn’t get any bigger.

Reply

Flying Purple Hippos December 21, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Cute and I love your fabric choice.

Reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: