I’ve been drooling over Mrs. Depew’s “Sexy Ladies” patterns for a while now, and when my last store-bought bra finally met its demise just in time for “Black Friday”, I knew it was a sign to pick up Mrs. Depew’s 1940’s French Bra Pattern #2014 during her after Thanksgiving sale.
From the moment I printed out this pattern, I was giddy with excitement to make it! I’m always nervous to cut into my really nice fabrics when making a new pattern, so I decided to make it out of a lavender cotton that was hanging out in my stash. I added lace on the upper cup to sexy up the cotton and did a three-button closure on the back. The buttons are actually light pink, but unless you’re looking closely at it (which the only one to be doing that will be the hubby!) you can’t really tell that they don’t match. I also added fusible interfacing on the front and back bands to give the bands more structure.
I did modify the pattern and added a third bust dart towards to center front in order to make the cup more fitting to me. This is a great pattern and so easy to make! Total sewing time was a little less than three hours (including making two muslins). Now to get out my satin material to make some more!