A Tip for Those Living Outside the USA

If you live outside the USA, you might not be aware that the US Postal Service is putting its prices up on January 27th and while the increases for domestic mail are not much, prices for shipping outside the US are going up considerably.

For example, right now a 5oz package from the US to Australia is $6.12 but after January 27th that same package is going to cost $12.75

Ouch.

So, if you live outside the US and you’ve had your eye on a pattern sold by a US seller, now is the time to get your order in before shipping charges shoot up.

It’s also a good time to start hunting down pattern sellers close to home. If you’re in Australia, All the Precious Things and Bessie and Maive are two of my favorites. You can find vintage patterns on etsy located in Australia with this link.

Brits, you’ve got Fox Vintage, Sew Much Frippery, and others on etsy searchable here.

If there’s a pattern seller you love outside the US, let us know in the comments.

There is absolutely no reason this post is filled with pictures from a book of 1956 ski fashions except that they are completely awesome.

• Meet the Author • Katherine

I'm the editor at WeSewRetro so don't hesitate to get in touch with any problems or questions. In addition to keeping the good ship WeSewRetro afloat, I do an amateurish but enthusiastic job of raising a daughter, teach university professors how to dominate a computer by day and study for a masters in literature at night. My daily coffee consumption would kill a small horse. I'm having a clandestine relationship with bias binding and my idea of hell is turning a spaghetti strap right side out.

• Yikes. I buy from the USA a lot but hadn’t heard this piece of bad news. Prices were very high to New Zealand anyway and this will probably spell the end for my buying American! Oh well, off to the UK and Asia I go… :)

• Thanks for the heads up and links. Good to know

• Thank you so much for the tip! I buy a lot of my quilting cotton from the US as it is so much cheaper than the UK, even with postage. Looks like that will change, so I’ll get my orders in now.

• Same here. Rats, that’s going to dent my fabric and pattern buying very seriously…

• Argh. Thanks for letting us know… and actually the photos tie in perfectly!

Though, for peeps in New Zealand, this new feature from NZpost may be useful, They give you a US postal address to send your purchases to then it gets forwarded to NZ:

• Oh, that’s awesome. Nice one, NZpost. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about New Zealand.

• Lol :D those ski fashions certainly are completely awesome!

• You’re right…the photos are TRULY AWESOME. Thanks!

• I love the photos, Katherine!

As a buyer, I’m gutted about this postal increase, as I buy a LOT of patterns from USA. I guess that will have to stop, now :-(

I can still look, though, right?

Thanks for mentioning my Aussie pattern shop, too.

• One of the reasons besides the economy that postal prices are rising here in the US is that our government made a law saying the postal service had to prefund benefits for employees for retirement. Basically for each employee all their benefits had to be in the bank in advance when they start work…or so I gather. Billions of dollars total (and a Google search is reporting that the post office is due and can’t pay, imagine that). Looks like they’re passing that onto international rather than domestic for the bulk. Most likely because of backlash they’d get for such a high hike here at home. We American’s seem to be OK with slow raises that increase a lot over time but not something drastic. We also have “forever” stamps for domestic first class mail. You buy them at any rate and they’re good forever. So the masses are appeased somewhat.

What always got me was that even though email made first class mail (letter mail) decline (and back when I’m sure phones did the same thing), the internet has surely increased package mail hasn’t it? And that costs a lot more than letter mail. Even a sewing pattern which is light is still a couple bucks domestic.

• Thanks for the head up. It will definitely make me think twice befroe I order anything from US in the future.

• Not really all that good for the overall US economy, is it. I am a sad panda though, I love scoring cheap vintage patterns from the US.

• The ski fashions really are awsome! Do you have more information about the book they are from? I am searcing for the pattern for the ladies cardigan in picture number 2. I have seen it in a norwegian TV series and fell in love with it. I have got information from the cosume designer that the cardigan was an old one. Does anyone have information that can point me in the right direction for the pattern?

• I don’t have the book with me right now so I can’t tell you the name of it, but I’ll have a look tonight when I get home. I’d be happy to scan the pattern you want and email it over – just send me an email at katherine [at] wesewretro.com so I know where to send it :)

« LAST POST