A little while ago I did a swap with the lovely Reana Louise and she sent me a gorgeous 1970s dress pattern and some lovely orange fabric. Well I finally got around to making the dress and I am in love. It is going to be perfect for this hot summer we are in for on the Gold Coast.
The pattern (Butterick 5482) that I had was a size smaller than I required so I did some dodgy grading to make it fit. I have never graded a pattern before and since this dress has such basic pattern pieces I decided to just wing it. Luckily for me it turned out perfectly.
I also made a minor alternation to the waist of the dress. Instead of doing a tie waist I did a simple elastic waist. I did this by sewing thin elastic straight onto the dress and stretching it as I sewed it on. This way I can wear a belt with it. I also raised the waist slightly from where it was on the original dress. I am pretty happy with how this dress turned out. I wore it this past weekend and it was super comfortable. There may need to be another one added to the wardrobe to get me through summer. I am thinking a cool tribal print or maybe a nice kelly green colour to wear with a gold belt and flats.